Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Zed Paul Revere types - 08/21/08 12:29 AM
Anyone familiar with this phrase? A neighbour in a note cautioned me to be careful who I trust because there are "Paul Revere types" in the area. I think he's originally from Oz if that helps.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Paul Revere types - 08/21/08 01:51 AM
Wasn't he the legendary character who rode around yelling "the British are coming, the British are coming!"?

If it was an Aussie who said it, perhaps he was alluding to this impending tragedy - the British Medal Haul at the Games.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Paul Revere types - 08/21/08 07:01 AM
Listen, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-Five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year
(obviously) \:\)

Seems like he was kind of a heroe: Paul Revere
Posted By: Faldage Re: Paul Revere types - 08/21/08 10:48 AM
And more than legendary, he existed IRL. While the legendary Paul Revere might have yelled, "The British are coming! The British are coming!" the real one would have more likely yelled, "The regulars are coming! The regulars are coming!"
Posted By: morphememedley Re: Paul Revere types - 08/21/08 02:42 PM
I don't believe I've heard “Paul Revere types.” I suspect the neighbor may have meant persons who are likely to raise an alarm, but not knowing the context I can only guess.

You (plural) don't have in the neighborhood any restive element(s) chafed by repression and exploitation, do you?
Posted By: Zed Re: Paul Revere types - 08/21/08 10:07 PM
Probably, but I'm sure they don't have horses.
Oh well, I'm sure that he knew what he meant. well, fairly sure.
Posted By: The Pook Re: Paul Revere types - 08/22/08 01:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
And more than legendary, he existed IRL. While the legendary Paul Revere might have yelled, "The British are coming! The British are coming!" the real one would have more likely yelled, "The regulars are coming! The regulars are coming!"

Well, yes, strictly speaking I should have applied the adjective to the ride or the cry rather than the person, quite right. Though it can be taken in the wider more modern sense of the word of course, as in the sentence "the coffee at that restaurant is legendary!" Or "his exploits at the last Olympic Games were legendary." That is, it can mean something like "larger than life."
Posted By: wow Re: Paul Revere types - 08/28/08 01:58 PM
Ask him !?!?!?
© Wordsmith.org