Wordsmith.org
Posted By: iicc defilers - 08/20/08 10:43 AM
hello. can somebody please tell me if this word has some specific SF connotations?
i'm Polish and trying to find some equivalent, turns out that the word is often used in SF and horror stories, is there any reason?
are DEFILERS some sort of space plunderers or invaders, or just usual thugs?
sorry if this sounds stupid but i'm stuck and would really appreciate any help.
thanks!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: defilers - 08/20/08 11:53 AM
defilers of tombs, shrines, temples, etc. abound in the world of fantasy, horror, and Dungeons & Dragons and so forth.

one assumes this is from the sense of defile, to make unclean or unfit for ceremonial use; desecrate. it probably hearkens to the defilers of the Temple; or maybe better, the defilers of the Tombs of the Pharaohs.

-joe (the mummy's curse) friday
Posted By: dalehileman Re: defilers - 08/20/08 03:07 PM
Hi ii: Welcome. You've probably been there but if not,

http://onelook.com/?w=defiler&ls=a
Posted By: twosleepy Re: defilers - 08/20/08 04:07 PM
We could probably provide more specific help if you could tell us what book, or series, you've been reading lately and found it used. But I doubt the meaning would be much different from those already expressed on this thread. :0)
Posted By: iicc Re: defilers - 08/20/08 04:21 PM
Hi! thank you so much:)
the word "defilers" is used in a 2001 movie, "CQ", a fun reflection on oldish SF movies. there is a coded message that reads "Defilers beware!", playfully (i think) referring to the jargon itself. i just thought it might resonate something obvious, but i guess it's not the case.
thank you!
© Wordsmith.org