Wordsmith.org
Posted By: twosleepy Okay, no cheating; do you know this word? - 08/04/08 11:24 PM
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
I came across it on a FunTrivia quiz, but had never seen it before, and guessed wrongly, to boot! Which part is the "long word" part?!?!? :0)
Sesquipedali- It means foot and a half, referring to the length of the word as written.

Hmm, oughtn't it to be hippopotomomonstrosesquipedaliphobia? And then some peevologists might complain that it mixes Latin and Hellenic, a must-never-do-ism. I guess you could replace monstro with terato, but I am at a loss on what to do with sesquipedali. Hmm. Just one minute. ICLIU (link ημιολιασμος (hēmioliasmos) is the same as Latin sesqui 'one and a half'. And, I guess, podali for the foot part. (Latin sesquipedalis means 'foot and a half (long)' but doesn't really work without words. So, verbo or lexico needs to go in there. So, how about hippopotomoteratohemioliasmopodalilexicophobia? Or in English fear of river-horse-monster-foot-and-a-half-(long)-words.
Posted By: olly Re: Okay, no cheating; do you know this word? - 08/05/08 12:13 AM
Scared of big things with sequi feet?
Sorry, I have no eye deer.
No cheating, fear of long words I believe. Certainly one of the funnier terms around. \:\)
 Originally Posted By: twosleepy
I came across it on a FunTrivia quiz, but had never seen it before, and guessed wrongly, to boot! Which part is the "long word" part?!?!? :0)

I think fear of long words might be just sesquipedaliophobia .

But I don't see what "monster river horse" adds to it - a fear of verbose giant hippos? Fear of abnormally long-winded hippos?
Well, it is both of them. Mine might be slightly misspelt in the middle somewhere (it was copy/pasted), but I saw both of them in looking it up. It just seemed so strange with the "hippo" thing starting it off! I was sure it had something to do with horses. I'd never seen it before, and wondered if anyone else had. :0)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Okay, no cheating; do you know this word? - 08/06/08 08:15 PM
>slightly misspelt in the middle somewhere

well, yeah! what's that second pp doing there, anyways -- to make the word even longer?!

fwiw, hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

-joe (not one of my fears!) friday
Well, duh!
© Wordsmith.org