Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Porcupine to passively condone - 02/17/08 02:04 AM
Is 'passively condone' repetitive (does the word condone imply passivity)?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 02:11 AM
[Decided to remove this post.]
Posted By: belMarduk Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 02:32 AM
Here's a definition I found for condone, which is what I always believed it to mean: To overlook, forgive, or disregard (an offense) without protest or censure

I don't know then, if you can passively condone since you have to make a choice to overlook, forgive or disregard. Even if you do it nonchalantly, you still make an active choice to do so.
Posted By: Porcupine Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 03:05 AM
Yes, I see what you're getting at. I was composing a letter today to a local radio station that continues to play a song (surprisingly, not a rap song) that I find offensive because it contains a line that I interpret as being repulsively sexist. I was accusing them of passively condoning sexism and perpetuating damaging myths about gender by playing the song.

They make a choice to play the song, but they are not choosing to play it (I'm assuming) because they think it sexist. They are playing it because they think it's a good song. Maybe condone is just the wrong word altogether.
Posted By: Zed Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 05:29 AM
I think many people would understand condone to mean approve of rather than merely not object to. Passively condone seems to mean what you mean it to mean without sounding ...um, mean about it.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 12:06 PM
yeah, I think it is an effective use of slight redundancy. without the "passively" it sounds much more harsh.
Posted By: Hydra Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 12:23 PM
To condone something, you have to be aware of it. Perhaps they simply overlooked it. "Unwittingly promulgate", seems more suited to your context IMO.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 05:42 PM
good point.

but if they didn't notice it, do you think they'll know what "promulgate" means?

/snark
Posted By: dalehileman Re: to passively condone - 02/17/08 06:11 PM
I think passively is ok, especially if the subject is known to condone things in different ways. If you paSSSIVELY CONDONE SOMETHING YOU DON'T MUCH THINK ABOUT IT

As unlike me some passively condone the proximity of the Caps Lock to the Shift
Posted By: Zed Re: to passively condone - 02/18/08 05:58 AM
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT
Posted By: tonyc Re: to passively condone - 02/20/08 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Porcupine
I was composing a letter today to a local radio station that continues to play a song (surprisingly, not a rap song) that I find offensive because it contains a line that I interpret as being repulsively sexist.

Isn't it a bit prejudiced to accept the notion that rap music is inherently more offensive than other types of popular music. Why don't people bristle at the sugestions of pedophilia in Union Gap's "Young Girl" or Lionel Richie's video for "Hello"? Likewise, nobody gets fired up when Big Joe Turner exclaims, in "Shake, Rattle & Roll," "I'm a one eyed cat peeping in a seafood store. Well, I can look at you and tell you ain't no child no more." Nobody is writing letters to Amy Winehouse's record label, asking them to pull her records from the shelves and force her to go to rehab for her extremely public heroin addiction; to the contrary, they give her awards.

With so many reprehensible ideas being bandied about in popular music, I'm not sure why people continue to single out rap music as being the most deserving of its disapproval. And while I understand that you were not writing about a rap song, I do not understand why you felt a need to include that little aside: "surprisingly, not a rap song".
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: to passively condone - 02/20/08 10:08 PM
Perhaps some of the groups aren't that popular and porcupine is not aware of them. I never heard of Amy Winehouse until a few weeks ago.

There is some good rap and there is some idiotic rap and there is some that is a little of both. "Gold Digger" and "Baby Got Back" are both brilliant - and both extremely sexist. Some words from "Gold Digger" could get one's ass handed to one if spoken in a certain contexts. It's still genius, though. OTOH, "hollaback girl" is musically brilliant, but culturally just stupid.

Rap music is singled out because it is often (not always, but often) far more abrasive and more pervasive than other stuff.
Possibly the reason this is frowned on is the perception that kids actually try to emulate the behavior they hear on these songs.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: to passively condone - 02/21/08 12:07 AM
I think that a better choice than "silently" would be "tacitly."

Quote:
From Merriam-Webster: tacit

1 : expressed or carried on without words or speech <the blush was a tacit answer — Bram Stoker> 2 : implied or indicated (as by an act or by silence) but not actually expressed <tacit consent> <tacit admission of guilt>
— tac·it·ly adverb
— tac·it·ness noun
Posted By: The Pook Re: to passively condone - 02/21/08 02:26 AM
I think 'implicitly' condone is more the sense you're looking for isn't it?
Posted By: pallasathene Re: to passively condone - 05/20/08 04:32 PM
If you condone something, you act or speak out in support of it. Passively condoning something would be to not voice disagreement.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: to passively condone - 05/21/08 02:57 AM
I think you can condone something without a word or action. Simple inaction in the face of another action would condone it, absent any effort to stop it. If you sit by and do nothing when something occurs in your presence, you are condoning it without actions or words. I don't know if this has a name. This is not, however, the case with the radio station. They are taking action by playing the song, thereby actually promoting whatever message is in the song, a step up from condoning. I'm sure it's a simple case of the Almighty Dollar. If there's profit in playing it, they will, no matter what the message.
Posted By: The Pook Re: to passively condone - 05/21/08 03:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: pallasathene
If you condone something, you act or speak out in support of it. Passively condoning something would be to not voice disagreement.

I think the core sense of the word is approval. It doesn't necessarily involve particular actions. To condone something means to approve of it. That approval starts with a theoretical assent and could come out in various ways, by words and/or actions. But the act of condoning itself is the act of approving. Not voicing agreement could be a passive action (if that's not an oxymoron) that SHOWS you condone something. Speaking for something would be an active sign of condoning it.
© Wordsmith.org