Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman [b]OT [/b]and what else - 02/12/08 04:33 PM
OT is Off Topic, in reference to a post deviating from the theme of a thread; for example when it begins as a discussion about teaching grammar in school but winds up in a detour about the feeding habits of small children. But is there a common term for a post or thread in the wrong forum; for instance in Weekly Themes a question about a word not pertinent to any recently discussed there (or would this still be OT)

Or is there still another expr for a post or thread entirely outside or only marginally pertinent to the purpose or theme of the board; for instance the sort of post of which I'm occasionally guilty where there's a strong underlying suggestion of politics or religion--thanks all
Posted By: tsuwm Re: [b]OT [/b]and what else - 02/12/08 05:02 PM
take a look at the individual forum descriptions here. the overriding theme is "words" -- anything else is, technically, OT for the board as a whole. likewise, posting in the wrong forum (as I did with my abortive poll in 'Weekly Themes' (thanks Jackie)) is OT for that forum.

there may be specific terms for each of these as well, but OT certainly gets the point across.

-joe (kudos on the word post) friday
Posted By: dalehileman Re: [b]OT [/b]and what else - 02/12/08 07:45 PM
tsu thank you I thought it might but still open to other exprs for the latter two
Posted By: olly Re: [b]OT [/b]and what else - 02/12/08 07:48 PM
I kept reading Dales OT as 'Over the Top' A bit OT as we say down here in NZild.
Posted By: latishya Re: [b]OT [/b]and what else - 02/12/08 07:56 PM
Originally Posted By: olly
I kept reading Dales OT as 'Over the Top' A bit OT as we say down here in NZild.

I have friends in NZ, and they mostly write "OTT" for "over the top."
Posted By: olly Re: [b]OT [/b]and what else - 02/12/08 10:41 PM
Yes, Quite right.
© Wordsmith.org