Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Dale Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/28/08 01:11 PM
Is there a word which refers to the situation when a Brand Name becomes the label for the class of goods? Examples: Xerox for copies, Scotch Tape for adhesive tape, and Qtip for, well, qtips!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/28/08 01:54 PM
several terms to choose from: genericized trademark, generic trade mark, or proprietary eponym

-joe (proponym?) friday

edit: in Law, amazingly enough, you have the shortened generic mark.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/28/08 03:34 PM
Label Day?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/28/08 03:40 PM
Google reminds us that it's the 50th anniversary of the LEGO brick.

-joe (goldbrick!) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/28/08 07:18 PM
Yeh, I was wondering why. I've contributed to their gold brick by buying bricks for two generation. Must admit it looks cheerful.
Posted By: of troy Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/28/08 09:28 PM
Actually, Xeroc stricly enforces the use the Xerox trade name, and doesn't permit copy shops to advertize "xerox copies' unless they have a Xerox machine. (and then they want Xerox® Copies)

same goes for Cotton Swabs.. (Q-Tip is just one brand of cotton swabs.

likewise Scotch® brand adhesive tape (or Scotch® Brand Post It Notes.

Most companies work hard to make sure their brand name doesn't become a generic term.. (all most, but not quite!)

in US Aspirin is generic, but that's not true world wide.

In canada (and most of europe) you can only buy BAYER brand Aspirin.

and likewise in UK you hoover (vacuum) with any brand machine, but in US Hoover is just one (of several) brands of vacuum cleaners.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/29/08 03:58 PM
Oh, no! No no no! I saw two threads, I thought, with the title above, and that they were exactly alike with the exception of a request at the end of one of them to delete the extra. So I did...but they BOTH disappeared!
My deepest apologies to those who posted; I can remember that Aramis did, with his unpublished-writer post; also morphememedley I think; Branshea; and Faldage(?). Please, if you can remember what you posted, do it again.

I took a risk--and you-all paid the price. I'm so sorry.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/29/08 05:04 PM
Jackie perhaps you were thinking of this one but if not you should peruse it anyway as it is pertinent and contains a few of my own brilliant posts

http://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/172925/page/1#Post172925
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/29/08 05:16 PM
I don't think that's it, dahil; but I guess you've sewn up the self-serving post of the day award!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/29/08 06:06 PM
Oh, trial-and-error, Jackie!
There was a new poster, who asked how 'cingular' came to be transformed to 'shingles', meaning: 1. Eruptions along a nerve path often accompanied by severe neuralgia. ( medical term, right, called herpes zoster)

There was Aramis' post with a story someone wrote about a four-year old asking for Band-Aid. Where he commented on and fulminated against the form
" try and find" a Band-Aid in a rent-a-car.
I gave an answer to that one, far from priceless.( my answer, I mean)

Plus a post where I asked about a maybe different origin for the plural of the word 'shingle' (e.i. not from cingulum). I only knew the word as 'pebbles'.
1. Building material used as siding or roofing.
2. Coarse beach gravel of small water-worn stones and pebbles (or a stretch of shore covered with such gravel).
3. A small signboard outside the office of a lawyer or doctor, e.g. (still interested in an answer)

Then a priceless post of mine that was the key to the solution of all current world problems.
That one I forgot.

Posted By: Aramis Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/29/08 09:19 PM
You want that fulmination again?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/29/08 10:35 PM
Ach,' t' Is een beetje een zootje, Aramis. I'm glad you understand Dutch.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/30/08 01:54 AM
Quote:
You want that fulmination again?
I, I, ...yes I would like to read it again...but not if it's going to be too much trouble for you. [hanging head e] I am truly sorry.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/30/08 01:55 AM
No, it wasn't that one, but thanks, Dale.
Posted By: morphememedley Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/30/08 01:56 AM
Are we in Web 2.0 yet? If not, let's not rush there on my 'count; I don't necessarily fare any better at sites that claim to be there.

On a good day I forget my posted comments, so I'm not worried about the latest vicissitude.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/30/08 09:11 PM
From [often faulty] memory, for the zealous deleter:

One of the more cynical among us call it 'four-year-oldism'. Here is a related excerpt from an obscure, unpublished work:

Some people never seem to get over being four years old. The last time an aged four-year-old said to me, “Gimme a Band-Aid”, I asked if he had an ‘owie’. Ever notice that company always uses the phrase “Band-Aid brand” in their ads, even wedging it into jingles where it does not really fit? Well, that is why. Another tip-off you are dealing with an old four-year-old is hearing about the intention to “try and” do something. An aging four-year-old might say, “I’m going to have a coke while I try and find a band-aid in my rent-a-car.” Besides the nauseating aspect of the whole world being one big television ad, it would seem that “try and” implies a certainty of success, making it a self-contradiction. Adult four-year olds “could of” learned in school but evidently it was too much bother.
Posted By: of troy Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/30/08 11:12 PM
shingle? a gravely bit of beach?

read all about shingle here

roof shingles are gravely, (and sometimes "shakes' (cedar planks used to make a roof, are called 'shingles' (and the idea of over lapping flat stuff for roofs in general) are shingles.

a single one, could be used a as plaque for a sign (hang a shingle)
Posted By: Faldage Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/31/08 12:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Aramis

Some people never seem to get over being four years old.

Remember, these four-year olds learned their language from adults. Use of brand names generically is very common among many quite mature people. What I would call four-year-oldism is whining, "Someone is using the language different from the way that I would. Make them stop, Mommy!"
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/31/08 12:58 AM
Oh, I know what you mean.

Like somebody who is asking you for a favour, and they think they make it impossible to say "no" by finishing up their request with a moue, and "pwitty, pweeze" without realizing that this actually makes you feel like assissinating them. Just saying.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/31/08 11:45 AM
Ah! back on track.
Quote:
read all about shingle here

Thanks for the sugar story, of troy.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/31/08 05:09 PM
While embibing a sweetened carbonated beverage, I will attempt the possible reaquisition of my disposable adhesive bandage from the interior of my temporarily hired automotive vehicular device.

Pray that I don't choke on it.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/31/08 05:52 PM
Very good! Now try and get this into the head of a four-year-old. (=-=)
Posted By: Aramis Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 01/31/08 09:28 PM
See? Even sardonic dignity trumps [anti-]intellectual collectivism. Not all rants are whiny, Fal.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Definition: Brand Name as Label - 02/01/08 12:30 AM
An interesting discussion of "try and" as opposed to "try to" at the alt-usage-english site. Of particular interest is this note:
Originally Posted By: alt-usage-english
WDEU suggests that "try and" may actually be older than "try to"; both are first attested in the 17th century.
© Wordsmith.org