Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm daymoon - 11/27/07 10:20 PM
anyone know of a single term for the 'daytime moon'?

-joe (other than daytime-moon, or daymoon) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: daymoon - 11/27/07 10:51 PM
I like daymoon. The daymoon stood over Half Moon Bay.

(is that really in use? Daytime-moon? Is nighttime-moon ever used?)Or is the moon just moon? And what about a daytime-star?

Or am I ruining the riddle now?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: daymoon - 11/27/07 11:10 PM
is that really really in use!?

-joe (I guess so) friday
Posted By: BranShea Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 07:44 AM
I know that:

* The moon stood still on Blueberry Hill
* They have Moonlight in Vermont
* and Oh Moon of Alabama, we now must say 'Goodbye'
* There's a Moon over Bourbon street
* Allagenne Moon, you silver light etc.
* I'm being Followed by a Moon Shadow

And this moon medley could be way longer, but there is only one song in which the sun and dee daymoon get together and that is a French song:
"Le Soleil a rendez-vous avec la Lune"
Posted By: Hydra Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 04:37 PM
Is there a term for nighttime moon?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 04:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Hydra

quotinoctian

-joe (wiseguy) friday
Posted By: Hydra Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 05:32 PM
I like, "the diurnal moon."

(Or noon-moon? midday-moon? antinoctilunar?)
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 05:44 PM

Moon.
Posted By: BranShea Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 05:46 PM
Etymology
Formed from Latin nox, by analogy with quotidian.

wwftd-->quotinoctian
occurring every night, nightly (phony Latinate? compare quotidian)[edit] Adjective quotinoctian

wiki-->nightly; occurring every night, especially in a routine or uninteresting way. 1997: hectic high-speed star-gazing, not the usual small-Arc quotinoctian affair by any means. — Thomas Pynchon, Mason & Dixon

tsuwm , I highly respect you, but where is the moon in this? The moon is not even visible every night.
There are only two entries through one look and one of two is your wwftd

Bona nox, bist a rechter Ochs, is a macaronic lullaby
Posted By: tsuwm Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 07:36 PM
Bran> where is the moon in this?

now I've got to explain myself..
my initial post was a serious question, one asked by a subscriber. I couldn't come up with anything better than 'daymoon', so I asked the gallery. other than your posts, Bran, the only response I got was Hydra's, which sounded like sort of a wisecrack to me, so I responded in kind with an obscure word meaning, roughly, commonplace. the ron obvious answer to him, provided subsequently by jheem, is 'moon'.

I still have no response for my interlocutor, who reacted to 'daymoon' thusly: "I’m pretty sure there was another word that I was looking for… I can only remember saying to myself, “Oh, that’s a great word to know,” but I didn’t write it down somewhere to remember it."

-joe ( Paul Harvey ) friday

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 07:58 PM
my initial post was a serious question

Sorry, sometimes the channels 'round 'bout these environs be noisy ones, and humor ensues. I liked diurnal moon, which Hydra reflected on above.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 08:06 PM
diurnal moon does register 82 ghits (as opposed to 182,000 for daymoon); I haven't sorted through the usages..
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 08:22 PM
And, nightsun gets 170K ghits, too. Now, what does that mean? Wikipedia confuses matters by redirecting from daymoon to Sun. French lune de jour and German Tagesmond get 1770 and 357 ghits respectively.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 08:35 PM
tsu, here's a possible start

http://onelook.com/?w=*&loc=revfp2&clue=daytime+moon
Posted By: tsuwm Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 08:58 PM
dahil, with all due respect, the reverse dictionary is mostly useless (and I had glanced at it, just to remind myself of that fact).

-joe (george psalmanazar) friday
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: daymoon - 11/28/07 10:00 PM
(george psalmanazar)

heh.

Hit #20.
Posted By: zmjezhd libeaus desconus - 11/28/07 10:09 PM
george psalmanazar

Along with Isidorus Hispalensis, Johannes Goropius Becanus, Jean-Pierre Brisset, Nikolaj Y Marr, and Devaneya Pavanar, a glorious member and leading founder within and withof the pantheon of psychoceramic, pseudoscientific linguisticians.
Posted By: Hydra Re: libeaus desconus - 11/29/07 11:21 AM
tsuwm: if the answer to MY question is "moon", that is also the answer to yours. The moon is the moon, whether seen by night or day; and it is only because you wanted a specific word for the moon when seen by day that I asked if there were one for the moon seen at night.

Posted By: dalehileman Re: libeaus desconus - 11/29/07 04:23 PM
tsu you are largely correct about that although once in a while I do strike paydirt. Trouble is, there aren't enough troublemakers like you and me so I invite anyone present who feels as we do to go to OneLook's Contact Us and express your opinion to those who matter
Posted By: tsuwm Re: libeaus desconus - 11/29/07 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Hydra
tswum: if the answer to MY question is "moon", that is also the answer to yours. The moon is the moon, whether seen by night or day; and it is only because you wanted a specific word for the moon when seen by day that I asked if there were one for the moon seen at night.

as I patiently explained in that same post, Hydra, it's not something I especially "want," but that someone wrote to me claiming there was such a word. knowing as we do that there seems to be a word for "almost everything" (Richard Lederer, on There's a Word for It!), I had no reason to doubt this claim and simply put the question.

I suggested 'diurnal moon' to my interlocutor (although it's not one word) and her response to that was, "Actually, maybe that’s it, because I remember that it was a word that described the moon such as “gibbous.”"

[style rule guidance aside: just there is an instance of quoting outside the period that looks really odd, to me.]

-joe (logoleptic) friday

Posted By: BranShea Re: libeaus desconus - 11/29/07 06:20 PM
lunar phases

Gibbous moon is a phase of the moon. It has no relation to daytime moon or the moon at nighttime. (moonshadows)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: libeaus desconus - 11/29/07 06:25 PM
it was just an example of "a word that described the moon," Bran.
Posted By: Hydra Re: libeaus desconus - 11/30/07 07:24 AM
Quote:
Hydra: Is there a word for nighttime moon?

Quote:
tsuwm: the ron obvious answer to him [Hydra], provided subsequently by jheem, is 'moon'.

and,

Quote:
tsuwm: knowing as we do that there seems to be a word for "almost everything" (Richard Lederer, on There's a Word for It!), I had no reason to doubt this claim and simply put the question.

"Almost everything", but not nighttime moon?

Perhaps you contradict yourself.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: libeaus desconus - 11/30/07 08:46 AM
>Perhaps you contradict yourself.

perhaps you play the fool.
Posted By: Hydra Re: libeaus desconus - 11/30/07 10:10 AM
All right, tsuwm. You used the wrong word, or told a bad joke. BranShea called you out. And now you are grumpy. Take it out on me, if it makes you feel better.

Posted By: BranShea Re: libeaus desconus - 11/30/07 05:47 PM
I wouldn't call it "called out", Hydra. A first post can decide what happens next. If I had known the post was on behalf of
someone, who had heard the word before and wanted to find it back, I might not have answered at all and leave it to the experts. I thought it was just a jesty question. And I always like to 'play'.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: libeaus desconus - 11/30/07 05:58 PM
for future reference: I would, in all liklihood, post a jesty question elsewhere, perhaps in Wordplay and fun.

-joe (all badinage aside) friday
Posted By: Hydra Re: libeaus desconus - 12/01/07 04:38 PM
Quote:
[style rule guidance aside: just there is an instance of quoting outside the period that looks really odd, to me.]

Are you referring to the full stop inside quotes?

Truss explains the rule: if a punctuation mark was a part of the original quote, it goes inside; if not, outside. Americans tend to put it inside, no matter what. I don't see a problem with that.
© Wordsmith.org