Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Faldage Raised under foot - 11/17/07 12:34 AM
An ad in today's paper for Pug puppies. Said they were AKC and raised under foot.

What does "raised under foot" mean in this context?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Raised under foot - 11/17/07 12:45 AM
they're not very tall?

heh. sorry.

actually, I think it means they are raised in the breeder's house, as opposed to in a kennel situation?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Raised under foot - 11/17/07 12:46 AM
in and about the house and environs, as opposed to cooped up in a cage.

-joe (total guess) friday
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: Raised under foot - 11/17/07 01:26 AM
Imprinting. We do it to all our foals. Touch, pull,or gently tug on all areas; later to be touched, pulled or tugged on by equipment contact; farrier, or veterinary care. The key to successful imprinting is consistency of reward.
So yes, raised under foot means that they were reared in an household environ to use them of human contact.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Raised under foot - 11/17/07 04:24 PM
"raised under foot" suggests a less kindly approach than gently and homely handling. Interesting.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Raised under foot - 11/17/07 10:38 PM
Under foot just refers to something or someone that is always getting in your way, e.g. puppies, or guests who are determined to "help" you in your kitchen...their way. Kids are good at getting under foot, too.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Raised under foot - 11/17/07 10:41 PM
Thanks Jackie.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Raised under foot - 11/18/07 02:45 PM
And it was the resonance of the usage Jackie pointed out that made me wonder at the particular usage I was asking about in my original question. It almost seems as though the people selling the puppies were tired of tripping over them so they had to get them out of the house. A quick google, however, shows that it is a common usage for the raising of cats and dogs. I think there was even a rabbit in there amongst the first twenty hits.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Raised under foot - 11/19/07 08:52 PM
I've never heard the expression before.

Do I understand you, Jackie: if something is raised underfoot, it is less likely to get underfoot?
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Raised under foot - 11/19/07 09:46 PM
"in and about the house and environs, as opposed to cooped up in a cage."

This is a huge deal among people who are "in to" dogs. People often decide to get a dog for reasons other than a love of the dog. They get it for the image perhaps - think Paris Hilton and her chihuahua or your local gang-banger and his pitbull or your neighbor's 8 year old daughter who doesn't understand that a living creature requires more attention than a dolly; that is, one can't just put it in the closet when one is tired of it. Many people who get them end up returning them when they are tired of them, a few of them at a HUGE loss of money.

I'm not familiar with the term, but I feel like the intent is obvious. "Raised underfoot" is not a slur, or derogatory in any way. It means the dog was loved like a child, and socialized with people, at least, if not with other animals (dogs, cats, etc.) as opposed (as you say) to being raised in a kennel by someone just out to make a buck. There's a term for this sort of kennel: they call them "puppy mills." A common opinion is that dogs from these kinds of kennels often have personality disorders, some of them irremediable. I don't have any idea how much truth there is in that opinion.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Raised under foot - 11/20/07 01:18 AM
Like theFF, I've never heard the expression raised under foot. I've just heard the latter word in sentences like, "You kids get out from under foot now, so I can cook dinner."
Posted By: BranShea Re: Raised under foot - 11/20/07 08:02 AM
Quote:
.. or guests who are determined to "help" you in your kitchen...their way.

I really like this little detail.
Posted By: Hydra Re: Raised under foot - 11/20/07 05:39 PM
Given all the explanation that is needed, would "domesticated" or "raised indoors" be better?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Raised under foot - 11/20/07 07:47 PM
If that is indeed what it means (and I can't think of a better explanation), then yes, I agree. Though "raised indoors" could mean a cage, I guess. (I cannot abide the idea of dogs being kept in crates...unless the door is NEVER closed. Then I guess it could be considered a nice, safe, dog bed.)
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Raised under foot - 11/20/07 07:58 PM
Perhaps it was intended as a shibboleth the significance of which might only be interpreted by worthy parents.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Raised under foot - 11/20/07 08:08 PM
I have a feeling the "raised under foot" expression does not necessarily mean índoors. I can see kids and puppies, kittens or whatever is being raised tottering in and out of open doors.
I like the underfoot expression better than domesticated because it is visualising the scene.
And sorry to bother with analogies again. We have a similar expression: "voor de voeten lopen" To hinder someone by being in front of someone's feet. Used like Jackie explained it.
Posted By: R. Eastcourt Re: Raised under foot - 11/23/07 02:40 AM
I found several ads using this term. For example:

AM A SMALL BREEDER DEDICATED TO PRODUCING EXQUISTE COMPANIONS THAT EXEMPLIFY THE BREED.I HAVE PUPPIES & DOGS THAT RANGE FROM MICTO TO TOY SIZE.THEY ARE SPOILED BY ME AND SOCIALIZED WITH MY FAMILY.
THESE Extreme Tiny Grand Champion sired babies too cute to be....... Sweet personality / disposition, family raised under
foot.

Other ads use this jargon and add that the puppies have been 'raised under foot' with cats and small children.

So everyone is correct. The term is both literal and figurative and an example of the jargon of the industry.
© Wordsmith.org