Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 01:42 PM
I read an article in which the Queen was said to like each of these. Can a punter here suggest why flutter started to be used for a (small) bet? Has it to do with the flutter of cash, or a fan perhaps?

edit-in:
I meant to make this have a 'question' icon but I must have slipped! Scheiß drop-down menus!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 09:44 PM
i wonder if perhaps it can simply be a reference to a fleeting, trifling or fluttering 'flirtation' with gambling. Isn't it most commonly applied to a bet (usually on a horse race) by a casual wagerer?

Posted By: belMarduk Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 09:56 PM
I've never seen these words in reference to betting only in reference drinking hard liquor.

I looked it up in MW and they have one definition that refers to drinking and one that describes a person that works at a tipple - a device that tilts or overturns a freight car to dump its contents.

Are you sure the Queen wasn’t saying she liked to take a small drink every once in a while.

Flutter has only an assortment of “waving, flapping” definitions.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 10:03 PM
a flutter is indeed UK slang for a small bet, usually one made by someone unaccustumed to wagering, and it sets his heart aflutter.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 10:18 PM
So do you think she was saying a drink and a bet

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 10:23 PM
So do you think she was saying a drink and a bet

Exactly! When I read the post, I wondered if it were in connection with the wrong Queen Elizabeth, as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother is famous for being very fond of having a tipple (G&T, I believe), and a flutter.

Posted By: wow Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/20/01 11:24 PM
Never heard "flutter" in connection with a bet until I went to the horse races in Ireland. Immediately knew it was a small bet ... context I guess.
I think US became acquainted with the term when all the BBC stuff crossed the pond .
There was a PBS (Public Broadcasting System) program about Britain's Royal Family which had a bit showing Her Majesty at the races and she was heard to make a 10-pound bet. Guess that's a "flutter" to her!
A flutter in US would be a $2 bet! Or $6 if you were betting "across the board" which would pay out if your horse won, placed (2nd) or showed (3rd).

"Tipple" would give you away as British in most US bars

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: a tippler & a flutter - 03/21/01 08:22 AM
>.. it sets his heart aflutter

This seems a fair connection. I guess those unaccustomed to betting might find risking a couple of quid quite exciting.
It got me thinking about how arbitrary the 'a' suffix seems; compare aflutter, affront and awash.

© Wordsmith.org