Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Brad What is the word? - 07/17/07 03:51 PM
There is a word for when you learn something new and references to what you just learned start popping up immediately.

What is that word?

Thanks,

Brad
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What is the word? - 07/17/07 04:39 PM
I don't know that there is a word for this phenomenon unless you count the one coined by the folks at wordorigins.

“Diegogarcity”: A term used on this board to denote the appearance of a term in multiple sources shortly after you have looked it up in the dictionary.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: What is the word? - 07/17/07 05:53 PM
Passive review is as close as I could come. Now you're probably ahead of me on this, but if not, go to OneLook's Reverse Dictionary and enter something like

learning triggers recall
Posted By: Zed Re: What is the word? - 07/17/07 08:39 PM
Hi Brad
Synchronicity might be the word you are looking for? I was trying to remember it and saw it on another thread - case in point.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What is the word? - 07/17/07 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: AnnaStrophic
I don't know that there is a word for this phenomenon unless you count the one coined by the folks at wordorigins.

“Diegogarcity”: A term used on this board to denote the appearance of a term in multiple sources shortly after you have looked it up in the dictionary.

from the original wordorigins discussion also comes "plate o' shrimp phenomenon", an allusion to "Repo Man".

-joe (serendipity) friday
Posted By: tsuwm Re: What is the word? - 07/17/07 10:35 PM
BTW, in a stunning bit of.. hmm.. reverse-diegogarcity, I recently read this article by Simon Winchester.
© Wordsmith.org