Wordsmith.org
Posted By: YuriiNation Oxford - 07/16/07 08:31 AM
ok...this is a little strange maybe but I have to interpret something symbolically and I'm having a bit of trouble finding out the etymology of the word Oxford. I've got 487847 diff definitions and uses of the word, (ie; woven threads, textiles, a college, towns, districts, basket weave etc.) but no where does it give the origins of the word or any history information. I can probably fudge what I'm doing with just what I've found but now I'm just curious and I'm confounded as to why that information is so elusive.

I know..obsess much? haha But it's like that thing ya had and you know its here somewhere but you can't find it and now you don't even really need it but it's bugging you and you won't be able to go to sleep till you've torn apart the whole house looking for it.

So, any technical, historical information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!

~Yurii
Posted By: Faldage Re: Oxford - 07/16/07 10:58 AM
All the other definitions derive ultimately from the British place name. I quick google of british-place-names gave me this site. You could look the two elements up but to make it easier oxa is Old English for ox.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Oxford - 07/16/07 01:57 PM
Is there reason to expect it derives from something other than a place to ford oxen?

For modern place names, that's definitely a necessary thing to ask, because developers like to use euphemistic names like
"Kingstowne" instead of "the place where the landfill used to be."
© Wordsmith.org