Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WordUhp Hyperbaton & Anastrophe - 06/10/07 02:20 AM
I need help!

I have Google'd "hyperbaton & anastrophe" for hours, and I can not find any article that answers my question. Some articles point out that these two words are somewhat synonymous, but I need to know the precise distinction between the two.

When I find the words separately, they each have the same basic definition, which is why I had hoped to find a place that treated both words simultaneously.

Can someone PLEASE provide a clear definition for each of these words, making a clear distinction between the two words (accompanied with clear examples)?

That would be most helpful

Thanks in advance,

WordUhp

PS- As Denzel Washington's character said to the character played by Tom Hanks: "Break it down to me like I am a 5th grader."
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Hyperbaton & Anastrophe - 06/10/07 02:49 AM
Anastrophe is most often a synonym for hyperbaton, but is occasionally referred to as a more specific instance of hyperbaton: the changing of the position of only a single word.
- Silva Rhetoricae (and see there for examples)

-joe (troubles, everybody's got) bfstplk
Posted By: polyglot Re: Hyperbaton & Anastrophe - 06/17/07 02:16 AM
Well, if you like answers.com, there is a really good explanation about anastrophe there. The definition of hyperbaton lists anastrophe as a specific type of hyperbaton. It's one of those 'an anastrophe is always a type of hyperbaton, but a hyperbaton is not necessarily an anastrophe'. I hope I didn't add to the confusion! :-þ

There are some examples given for each!
Posted By: Faldage Re: Hyperbaton & Anastrophe - 06/17/07 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: polyglot
'an anastrophe is always a type of hyperbaton, but a hyperbaton is not necessarily an anastrophe'.

Exactly. See also the Silva Rhetoricae entry.
© Wordsmith.org