Wordsmith.org
Posted By: nankoenig Need a Translation - 03/19/07 05:44 PM
Hi. I'm working on a project that involves American dialects. I'm trying to put some of Shakespeare's titles into--well, for lack of a more noble descriiption--Redneckese. I was wondering if anyone here had a suggestion on Much Ado About Nothing, which is the one that I am stuck on. The furtherest I have been able to get is Much Ado About Nuttin', but it seems to me that there must be a better interpretation.

Thanks for your help.

Nan Koenig
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Need a Translation - 03/19/07 06:07 PM
Welcome, Nan. Is this for school? I have several ideas, having been reared in redneck country my own self, but wouldn't want to do your homework for you.
Posted By: Zed Re: Need a Translation - 03/20/07 01:06 AM
Hmmm..."Tempest in a Teapot" looks too much like an abreviated version of another play.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Need a Translation - 03/20/07 02:38 AM
I definitely wouldn't use the word "ado." Beyond that I can only echo the words of the lovely AnnaS and say we don't want to do your homework for you. On the other hand, this site on Appalachian English might could be of some help.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Need a Translation - 03/20/07 11:39 AM
Though not strictly redneck, this from Music Man:

Big Whoop!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Need a Translation - 03/20/07 02:05 PM
There is, or at least was, a website somewhere that was kind of like Babelfish, but for dialects instead of different languages. I don't remember whether you can input anything for "translation", but if not there is an extensive list you can look through.
Trouble is, I can't remember anything about the title. It's been on here before; does anyone else remember what I'm talking about, and can you find it?

Stop the presses! I found it--yay, Google!
The Dialectizer
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Need a Translation - 03/20/07 02:15 PM
good find, J. (my work here may be done. <g>)

but, how disappointing.. the dialectizer comes up with this for Much Ado:
Much Ado About Nothin'

-joe (tempest fugit) friday
Posted By: Aramis Re: Need a Translation - 03/20/07 07:07 PM
Well, taking a poll can be something like work. How about

'A Big Dust-up over Small Potatoes'?

[May need some spelling 'currekshin'.]
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Need a Translation - 03/21/07 04:45 PM
Getting your panties in a wad
Posted By: Myridon Re: Need a Translation - 03/21/07 05:18 PM
This is probably rather meaningless, but it popped into my head as rather fittingly poetic...
Hootenanny in a Holler
Posted By: Zed Re: Need a Translation - 03/23/07 11:31 PM
Mountains Outta Molehills
Posted By: nankoenig Re: Need a Translation - 03/28/07 06:10 PM
No, it's for a screenplay. It's about a woman who successfully teaches a bunch of Redneck kids Shakespeare and writes a book about it. A movie company wants to make it into a film and can't figure out a title, then the producers send down word they want the whole film changed to Pride and Prejudice (She replies, "WHAT? They're gonna call it White Pride and Extreme Prejudice!!!" This is all complicated as they shoot it in her hometown during her twentieth year high school reunion.

All great suggestions! I found the dialectizer a while back, but as one of you kind people pointed out, it doesn't change it much... I'm stumped.

Nan
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Need a Translation - 03/28/07 07:25 PM
How's this one:

Macho do about nothin'

An overly coneited man without a job.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Need a Translation - 03/28/07 09:08 PM
Now THAT is funny, PT.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Need a Translation - 03/29/07 03:10 AM
But it ain't redneck. I'd go with something like "Whole Lotta Hootin' an' Hollerin" an' fer Whut?"
Posted By: Jackie Re: Need a Translation - 03/30/07 02:19 PM
"Whole Lotta Hootin' an' Hollerin" an' fer Whut?" Now, I'd had an idea or two myself, but that beats all!
Posted By: themilum Re: Need a Translation - 03/30/07 02:24 PM
Gussied up for a bug tussle.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Need a Translation - 03/30/07 03:17 PM
'bout time you showed up, Milo. You are the expert.

(where ya been?)
Posted By: Aramis Re: Need a Translation - 04/02/07 05:56 PM
Winner!
Posted By: BigRon Re: Need a Translation - 04/10/07 10:43 AM
What a pity you're not an Australian. Here we could sum it up in two words: "Bugger All".
Posted By: Jackie Re: Need a Translation - 04/10/07 01:38 PM
Another Ozzie? Yay! Welcome, Ron!
© Wordsmith.org