Wordsmith.org
Posted By: __8__ Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 06:25 AM
Quote:

personality noun. the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character

Is there an adjective for personality? Neither "personal" and "characteristic" give the above sense in adjectival form. I have seen the word "characterological" used before, but it's not in the dictionary.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 12:58 PM
I'm having a little trouble imagining what an adjectve of personality would mean.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 03:54 PM
Diverse, multifaceted
Posted By: Faldage Re: Diverse, multifaceted - 12/23/06 05:39 PM
Those are certainly types of personalities. So are boring, pig-headed and shallow.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 05:57 PM
how about personalistic? they rule with a personalistic, charismatic, and paternalistic style.

actually, personality itself is used as an adj.

"They are supposed to be the personality princesses of tennis but on the court they seem so bored that they barely stifle the yawns." - Daily Telegraph (Sydney), 23 Jan. 2003
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 06:48 PM
Isn't "personalistic personality" kind of redundant

cumulative, comprehensive, inclusive

8: Welcome! but I can't think of an adjective that doesn't impart some kind of quality
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 07:04 PM
>Isn't "personalistic personality" kind of redundant

who said anything about using it suchlike?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Adjective of personality? - 12/23/06 07:28 PM
tsu: Aha, I begin to understand the requirement

But only begin. Isn't 8 looking for a synonym for "personality" when used as an adjective

But any noun can be used as an adjective, and therefore isn't 8 simply seeking a synonym for "personality"
© Wordsmith.org