Wordsmith.org
Posted By: 251413913519 Tribal jumping ceremony - 12/19/06 10:07 AM
What is the correct term for the extraordinary jumping dance of the Kenyan tribesmen? I think it might be called the "Maasai jumping dance" but I can't find a reliable source—not even Wikipedia has anything on it.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Tribal jumping ceremony - 12/19/06 11:59 AM
Basketball?
Posted By: ParkinT Re: Tribal jumping ceremony - 12/20/06 07:52 PM
Quote:

The poster formerly known as Hydra

What a Prince!
Posted By: BranShea Re: Tribal jumping ceremony - 12/27/06 05:38 PM
" Uiteraard nadat we hem betaald hadden. Masai krijgers springen altijd heel hoog, de zogenaamde ' Ipid' om hun kracht en viriliteit te tonen."

From someone Dutch's travel log: about the Masai jumping dance: 'Ipid '

"de zogenaamde ' Ipid' om hun kracht en viriliteit.... "
"the so called ' Ipid' to show their power and virility .... "

Starting again from that word I get Ipods and lots of Ipids that do
not correspond.
Posted By: themilum Re: Tribal jumping ceremony - 12/27/06 07:18 PM
Say Big Number, don't you think that "Masai Dance" would be distinctive enough? It's not like people would mistake this dance for a waltz.

Teddy Rooselvelt called the dance the the "Masai Dance" back in 1909.

The dance can be seen at the very end of the third clip.
It looks easy. Sorta like the watusi...

Wahaaaaaaaa wah wah watusi.
Come on and take a chance
with this latest dance.
[1962]

United States : 1909.
Summary

Scenes of African peoples and of TR's safari party, all probably filmed in British East Africa (Kenya) in 1909. View of TR planting a tree in front of trading company building, possibly located in Mombasa, long shot of busy amusement area in Kenyan seaport of Mombasa, including shot of ferris wheels filled with Swahilis; shots, taken from observation platform on train engine, of plains along the Uganda Railway, with herdsmen who are probably Masai and railroad workers visible along tracks; train pulls into small community; women who are probably Masai, incorrectly identified by interior title as Zulu, gather water at spring, accompanied by children.
Rainmaker dances in ritual ceremony, surrounded by Swahilis; members of unknown tribe draw water from a well, with large thatched structure in background; views of Masai men, women, and children in kraal, with clear shots of mud houses; TR and his party appear in group of Kikuyu and/or Masai tribesmen; women who are probably Masai, incorrectly identified by interior title as Zulu, form ceremonial circle on open plain; TR and members of his party examine a gun in the presence of African tribesmen; unidentified tribesmen pose individually for camera at close range, with campsite visible in background; at campsite porters work busily, either setting up or breaking camp, with TR briefly visible; view of the Kikuyu dance and/or the Masai dance, incorrectly identified by interior title as Zulu dance, in honor of TR's visit; Roosevelt party crosses stream, with porters carrying gear and safari members across water toward camera.

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?am...LID+roosevelt))

Edited to highlight ferris wheels filled with Swahilis. What a delightfull phrase!
Posted By: Aramis Re: Leaping of Faith - 12/28/06 06:41 PM
Perhaps 'Ipid' is a loose translation of 'hotfoot'.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Leaping of Faith - 12/28/06 09:12 PM
Not bad . Not bad. But maybe (Kenya was an English speaking colony):

Ipid -- from high pedestrian--Ighped--Ipid, and so a Kenyan abbrevation.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Leaping of Faith - 12/28/06 10:46 PM
According to this paper, it means "jump."

Warning: Large pdf.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Laughing of Faith - 12/29/06 11:18 AM
You certainly taught me the meaning of the word LARGE. On page 31 yes! The undoubted proof that what apparently is a jump is indeed called a jump in maasai language.Then I had a good
I hardly dare ask you what a Pdf is. Paper , apparently but the rest...
I really need an abbr. dict.

But still, I'm impressed you really found that proof!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: pdf - 12/29/06 01:16 PM
portable document format (use OneLook for abbrevs too; in this case the Acronym Finder is one of the many hits.)
Posted By: BranShea Re: pdf - 12/29/06 03:06 PM
Thanks very much Tsuwm! Another problem solved and a Happy New Year to you!
Posted By: Faldage Re: pdf - 12/29/06 11:02 PM
There's also filext for file extensions.
Posted By: BranShea Re: pdf - 12/30/06 08:10 AM
And H.N.Y.to you too!
Posted By: Faldage Re: pdf - 12/30/06 12:47 PM
And lmylr
Posted By: BranShea Re: pdf - 12/30/06 06:27 PM
All right, just a good and happy new year!
© Wordsmith.org