Wordsmith.org
Posted By: marilynmonroe rosette bosses - 10/21/06 03:22 PM
Architechtural features:

Could bosses be rosettes and vice versa?

Wondering...and thankful that there will be someone here who will know whether these terms can overlap in meaning.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: rosette bosses - 10/21/06 03:38 PM
writers who use rosette bosses
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: rosette bosses - 10/21/06 08:07 PM
boss

2 (Architecture) an ornamental carving at the point where the ribs in a ceiling cross.

— ORIGIN Old French boce.

rosette:

2 a design or object resembling a rose.
— ORIGIN French, ‘little rose’.

These are typical rosettes:
http://www.wishihadthat.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=797
the most common one is probably the one in the third row, second column. This is the typical rosette seen where the horizontal and vertical moldings around doors and windows meet. It's basically a way of hiding the joint in the wood by distracting your eye from it.

These ( http://snipurl.com/101rk ) are some pictures of architectural bosses which are not rosettes.

So a boss can be a boss without being a rosette, but in architecture rosettes are sometimes bosses, though they can certainly be used in other decorations. Many military items have rosettes on them.
Posted By: Zed Re: rosette bosses - 10/24/06 03:44 PM
In York Minster Cathedral the bosses were recarved with scenes from the life of Christ after a fire destroyed the originals. One design was changed when the Victorian officials were scandalized by the thought of Mary's exposure while breastfeeding her infant son. It is therefore the only known carving of Jesus being bottlefed!
(hee hee)
Posted By: AnnaStrophic bossy rosettes - 10/24/06 05:06 PM
Photographic evidence, please, Mizz Zed, photographic evidence!
Posted By: Zed Re: bossy rosettes - 10/24/06 07:39 PM
It's true, I saw it with my own little binoculars but my flash wasn't powerful enough. The bottle is actually flask shaped not the modern baby bottle but flask-fed sounds so much worse.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: bossy rosettes - 10/25/06 11:14 PM
The spirit was willing but the flash was weak.
Posted By: Zed Re: bossy rosettes - 11/04/06 10:38 PM
© Wordsmith.org