Wordsmith.org
Posted By: RodolfoC boiling puppies - 09/27/06 09:26 AM
What does it mean "boiling puppies"?

I read this expression on a sms, but:
- I'm quite sure it does not mean boiling puppies
- I cannot unluckly recover the context the expression was embedded in
- Someone suggested: it means just to do a senseless or crazy thing and the like
- the sms sender is from London

Any tip, any hint?
Posted By: Faldage Re: boiling puppies - 09/27/06 10:19 AM
Quote:

- Someone suggested: it means just to do a senseless or crazy thing and the like

I think this is about it. Not just senseless/crazy, though, but downright evil.
Posted By: Zed Re: boiling puppies - 09/27/06 06:09 PM
Euuwww!!
edit - PS what's an sms? RSVP
Posted By: RodolfoC Re: boiling puppies - 09/28/06 05:40 AM
SMS is an acronym standing for (according to Wikipedia) Short Message Service and referring both to the service that permits to send short messages from (mostly) your mobile phone and to the very message you send
Posted By: Zed Re: boiling puppies - 09/28/06 06:41 PM
Aha, in that case maybe it's not "an expression" but just someone smsing with your mind.
Posted By: RodolfoC Re: boiling puppies - 09/29/06 06:17 AM
ex·pres·sion (k-sprshn)
1. The act of expressing, conveying, or representing in words, art, music, or movement; a manifestation: an expression of rural values.
2. Something that expresses or communicates: Let this plaque serve as an expression of our esteem.
3. Mathematics A symbol or combination of symbols that represents a quantity or a relationship between quantities.
4. The manner in which one expresses oneself, especially in speaking, depicting, or performing.
5. A particular word or phrase
[...]
Of course, you could nonetheless be right, and I've been perhaps misled by the similar italian (and french) "expressions": espressione (fr. expression)
What do you think thereof?
Can anyone understand me, if I use "expression" in the way I used it?
Can anyone suggest me any substitute (phraseology, formula, syntagma, locution, term, etc.)?

"I read this _ _ _ _ _ on a sms"

thank you
Posted By: Bingley Re: boiling puppies - 09/29/06 08:08 AM
What zed means Rodolfo, is that he doesn't think it's actually an expression that people commmonly use, just something that somebody has made up for that particular occasion. So, 'derived dervishes' is just two words put together for a particular temporary purpose rather than soemthing that acts as a unit of meaning.
Posted By: Zed Re: boiling puppies - 10/03/06 06:57 PM
Bingo, Bingley but I was in a weird mood and didn't express it clearly.
© Wordsmith.org