Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Still got that freak - 09/06/06 08:00 PM
...according to Christina Aguillera. I think "freak" means something like pizzaz or verve, but never heard it used this way
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Still got that freak - 09/06/06 08:46 PM
I'm not familiar with that song lyric but I did google it. I would say that in that context "freak" means a person with a powerful libido. Rick James' song "Superfreak" would be an earlier example of this use:

She likes the boys in the band
She says that I'm her all-time favorite
When I make my move to her room it's the right time
She's never hard to please

...she's a superfreak, superfreak
she's super-freaky
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Still got that freak - 09/07/06 01:38 PM
> pizazz

Maybe. I would probably assume it means edge, curve, bite, twist or the like, referring to something out of the ordinary that's different, perhaps jumpy. Part of the purpose of changing around uses of adjectives, nouns and adverbs is, I think, to add ambiguity to a tired word. 'Freak' is certainly that. A lot of street slang is characterised by a certain ambivalence in meaning too, which explains why negative words are often used in positive ways as well.

Missy Elliot tells you to 'get your freak on'. In that song it definitely refers to dancing more than any sexual connotation, though the difference between these is often practically indistinguishable in many tunes. Both songs externalise the 'freak' in a person, perhaps in an effort a make radical/outlandish behaviour more agreeable - as it is seen more as tapping into the extreme of the moment (be it while dancing or having sex) rather than accessing one's own personality.

BTW, can anyone parse this Japanese transliteration from the start of the above mentioned Missy song "Korekara minnade mechakucha odotte sawagou sawagou"? One online translation seems very fishy.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Still got that freak - 09/07/06 01:53 PM
can anyone parse this Japanese transliteration Helen? Bridget lived in Japan for a time, but I reckon she's too busy with that baby to come here now.

I tried babelfish, Japanese to English, and...it didn't change!
Posted By: Hydra Re: Still got that freak - 09/22/06 10:25 AM
My two cents re: "freak".

From the phrase "Get your freak on!" I take "freak" to mean "mojo" or "groove" (as in "I got my groove back").
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Still got that freak - 09/28/06 11:20 PM
BTW, can anyone parse this Japanese transliteration from the start of the above mentioned Missy song "Korekara minnade mechakucha odotte sawagou sawagou"? One online translation seems very fishy.

A friend translates the phrase as: (from now on)(everybody) (extremely) (dance) (let’s make a noise ... also means “mess” though). But in this case this is used as adverb, so this sentence means like: Let’s have a party and dance crazy!
© Wordsmith.org