Wordsmith.org
Posted By: aliasjb "Cut and Run" - 09/04/06 03:51 PM
I am questioning a phrase rather than an individual word, which may not be appropriate for the board. At any rate I would appreciate confirmation of my understanding of this phrase, which has been used of late by some boneheads to mean "turn tail and run."

My understanding is that it refers to a nautical manoeuvre, where a ship's captain decides that his original plan to anchor and outwait a storm was a bad idea. The wind is blowing hard, the anchor line is stretched so taut that the anchor cannot be hoisted, so the captain orders the first mate to "cut and run" (cut the anchor line and escape peril by running before the wind). Cutting and running is a time-honored, standard, by the book, sensible manoeuvre with no shame attached--at least that is my understanding.

Has any of you heard a different etymology? Thanks. aliasjb@gmail.com
Posted By: Faldage Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/04/06 04:13 PM
Try this board for your question. They'll handle it.

On the other hand Word Detective agrees with your story/
Posted By: aliasjb Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/04/06 04:37 PM
Thanks. Always good to have one's speculations confirmed.
Posted By: Faldage Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/04/06 08:37 PM
But to say that the phrase "cut and run" has no pejorative connotations is to fall prey to the etymological fallacy.
Posted By: themilum Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/04/06 10:46 PM
The "boneheads" you describe are almost everyone who uses the term today, both cut-and-runners" and those who have the will to stay-the-course.

Would the term "re-deployment" make the act more palatable to your political pallette?

Peace in our time.
Posted By: Faldage Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/05/06 10:33 AM
Quote:

Would the term "re-deployment" make the act more palatable to your political pallette?

Cap'n: First Mate! Redeploy!

FM: Aye Cap'n! Bos'n! Take an axe to that anchor cable and redeploy!
Posted By: Aramis Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/05/06 12:58 PM
It is particularly derogatory in relation to the Medusa raft incident depicted in an immense painting in the Louvre. Anyone seen that one?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/05/06 02:16 PM
Quote:

Anyone seen that one?

cut and run, have you?!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: pax harmonica - 09/05/06 11:25 PM
Cut and run used to be called Peace with Honor back in the day ...
Posted By: Aramis Re: "Cut and Run" - 09/06/06 03:26 PM
A case of poor timing; actually saw the painting prior to reading a book about the incident, and only remembered it later.
© Wordsmith.org