Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth Opposite of exceed - 08/30/06 11:07 AM
Does anyone know a single word antonym for the verb 'exceed' besides the dubious 'undershoot' (meaning 'fall short of' or 'fall below'). Thanks.
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: Opposite of exceed - 08/30/06 01:44 PM

fail
Posted By: of troy Re: Opposite of exceed - 08/30/06 03:14 PM
underwhelm
shortfall
disappointed
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Opposite of exceed - 08/30/06 04:34 PM
http://www.yourdictionary.com/cgi-bin/agora/agora.cgi?board=what;action=display;num=1093927923
Posted By: Aramis Re: Opposite of Exceed - 08/30/06 07:23 PM
Based on some paper thesaurus entries, perhaps 'underdo' or 'underrun'? 'Underperform' is prevalent in financial reports but falls short as a polar opposite of exceed.

-Spell-check seems to dislike all three.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Opposite of Exceed - 08/31/06 12:41 AM
(ea) falls short as a polar opposite of exceed.
Posted By: musick Re: Opposite of Exceed - 09/02/06 06:51 PM
Couldn't "just enough" be an opposing *concept for "exceed".
Posted By: wsieber Re: Opposite of exceed - 09/04/06 07:41 AM
The best one-word solution that comes to my mind is miss, especially when talking of a target or a minimal expectation.
Posted By: scribbler101 Re: Opposite of exceed - 09/06/06 12:19 AM
The Indians have (afaik without reference to our leader) coined the splendid word "prepone" as an opposite of "postpone"; so let us here do the same.

The opposite of "exceed" is clearly "subceed". Google produces 29 non-redundant results; some of which are clearly misspellings of other words; but some intentional antonyms.

I shall henceforth use "subceed" on all possible occasions. eg in autobiography - "he routinely subceeded early expectations"

scribbler
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: Opposite of exceed - 09/06/06 12:47 PM
Yeah, I think we spoke of prepone on AWAD once before - I don't think you'll hear too many dissenting voices around here either. As for subceed - that would be a fairly obvious move too, no doubt. I'm not sure I can use it too freely in writing just yet though.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Opposite of Exceed - 09/06/06 03:19 PM
Thought that was a flashback at first, but that was something of a snarl. Glad you caught it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Opposite of Exceed - 09/06/06 03:21 PM
Glad you caught it. Oh, that was great!
© Wordsmith.org