Wordsmith.org
I'd very much like to know.
Ah, I see somebody is too young to remember H.R. Pufnstuf, the original Barney...

Orange. Orange doesn't rhyme with anything.
scavenge?
"MONTH"........i think
I was waxing nostalgic, Logwood. Orange, porange, nothing rhymes with orange was a song sung by the witch in the show H.R. Pufnstuf, which played in the late 60's or early 70's. [insert showing-my-age emoticon here]

Actually, in Québec, there is a subtle difference between pronunciations...

Scavenge is pronounced: sca-vinj
Orange is pronounced: or-enj

Though, as we all know here, words are are pronounced differently depending upon where you live in the world so they may sound the same in your neck of the woods.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: lozengy - 07/18/06 03:38 PM
Ask Oxford and LIU in Wikipedia.
orange, purple and silver come to mind.
Posted By: Logwood Re: lozengy - 07/18/06 03:58 PM
The link suggested silver... but I can think of pilfer! har!

Heh..belMarduk, even if I was old enough, I doubt they put on Pufnstuf in Israel. Besides, give me Sesame Street any day over that.

I am stumped with month and purple... can't find something to rhyme well with it. And scavenge is not a perfect rhyme too, so good ones!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: lozengy - 07/18/06 04:01 PM
{once again, with feeling}
To find a rhyme for 'silver'
Or any 'rhymeless' rhyme
Requires only will, Ver-
bosity and time.

(see also Espy rhyme for orange at Wiki-link above)

purple: hirple, curple [YCLIU]
Posted By: Zed Re: lozengy - 07/18/06 06:32 PM
And good old Ogden Nash.

A panther is like a leopard
except that it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch
prepare to say ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther
don't anther.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Hardy Haarhaar - 07/18/06 07:37 PM
The link suggested silver... but I can think of pilfer! har!

Do you pronounce pilfer, pilver, or silver, silfer? They do not rhyme in my ideolect.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Hardy Haarhaar - 07/18/06 08:03 PM
That would be an egregious blunder from my part.
Actually, depending on your definition of rhyme, I'm finding it difficult to think of words that do rhyme with anything. Manything? Pennything?
its very interesting, if you are searching for pure words then NOTHING rhymes with "MONTH".but if purity is not the factor then these words "billionth, millionth, seventh, trillionth, zillionth"
do rhyme with "MONTH"..........
Newbee:

I like that. NOW try to work one of them into a poem with month.
Indeed, newbee. Those pesky meters and schwas get in the way, purity-wise..
While we're on the subject of assonance and rhymes ... does anyone know if there is a word for an implied but unspoken rhyme - or one where a word is substituted for the word that rhymes because it is a swear word?
Cockney?
Cockney?

(David) Hockney.
Quote:

Cockney?

(David) Hockney.

That's just one of those non-answers you get around here from time to time. Kinda like:

Q: What do you call someone who doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground?

A: <Hated politician of your choice>
one of those non-answers you get around here from time to time

Sorry, does the proper noun Hockney not rhyme with the other proper noun Cockney in yer ideolect, Faldo? Or you just channeling Lt Minderbinder?
Actually the thought wandering thru' my mind was:
does anyone know if there is a word for an implied but unspoken rhyme - or one where a word is substituted for the word that rhymes because it is a swear word?
Cockney (rhyming slang)
I think the question was more about songs like:
There once was a farmer who took a young miss
In back of the barn where he gave her a -- lecture
On horses and chickens and eggs
And told her that she had such beautiful -- manners
That suited a girl of her charms
A girl that he'd like to take in his -- washing
And ironing and then if she did
They could get married and raise lots of -- Sweet Violets.
Exactly. Whether Hockney rhymes with Cockney in my or anyone else's ideolect is irrelevant to the question which I think Myridon's example adequately recognizes. Cockney is not an answer to that question since the words substituted for in Cockney rhyming slang are not necessarily swear words. Of course, neither are the words in Myridon's example, but they're at least leaning in the right direction.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: sock it to, me? - 07/27/06 01:07 PM
Cockney is not an answer to that question since the words substituted for in Cockney rhyming slang are not necessarily swear words.

Yes, I figured it out later after posting. Sorry for snapping at hallucinations. In my defense, Bill Gates made me do it ...
© Wordsmith.org