Wordsmith.org
Posted By: carinemei In Fear of - 06/13/06 08:32 PM
I just joined AWAD today and posted in a wrong forum just a few minutes ago

This is an extremely simple question. I can't seem to remember the word that you use to mean "in fear of." Quick answer, anyone?

Thanks!
Posted By: carinemei Re: In Fear of - 06/13/06 10:43 PM
Nevermind, I got it, it's "lest"
Posted By: Jackie Re: In Fear of - 06/14/06 01:18 PM
posted in a wrong forum A-HAH! Caught! By self-admission! You are hereby sentenced to ten lashes with a wet noodle.

(Glad to have you. If I recall your example sentence correctly, it just didn't sound quite "right" to me; and I think it was because lest was followed by a negative. I've seen it either all, or nearly all the time, followed by a positive construct. That is, 'he studied hard lest he fail the exam', not 'he studied hard lest he wouldn't do well'.
Though that's not quite it, either: 'he studied hard lest he not pass the exam' sounds okay to my ears. )
Posted By: carinemei Re: In Fear of - 06/14/06 04:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the pointers! Maybe it's the tense that's not right there? Should "lest" be followed by a sentence with subjunctive? Can you say,

He studied hard lest he should fail the exam

?
Posted By: Aramis Re: In Fear of - 06/14/06 04:53 PM
Always thought that was already implied. Would it not have to be, lest 'lest he fail the exam' not be 'anticipatory*'?

*Spell-check did not balk
Posted By: carinemei Re: In Fear of - 06/14/06 05:05 PM
Great example! Gotcha!
Posted By: Marianna Re: In Fear of - 06/14/06 05:34 PM
On Remembrance Day(s) I've oftentimes heard folks unwittingly say the exact opposite of what they mean, with "Lest we don't forget".
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: In Fear of - 06/15/06 12:41 AM
> "Lest we don't forget".

yeah, I've heard it that way. I think that's one of those double negatives to make a point things.

I haven't thought about lest being a negative/fear thing before.
Posted By: Faldage Re: In Fear of - 06/15/06 09:35 AM
Quote:

I haven't thought about lest being a negative/fear thing before.

So haven't I.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: In Fear of - 06/15/06 12:56 PM
car: To avoid repetition, you can sub "else" or "ere"
Posted By: nancyk Re: In Fear of - 06/15/06 02:39 PM
Not so much "in fear of" as "for fear that." Or am I splitting hairs?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: In Fear of - 06/15/06 07:07 PM
split away, nan, makes sense to me.
Posted By: carinemei Re: In Fear of - 06/15/06 07:38 PM
Yep, it's definitely "for fear that." I only had a vague idea of what I was looking for.
Posted By: Aramis Re: In Fear of - 06/16/06 02:57 PM
Quote:

No, that is much better. It should work like substitution in algebra. Observe:

Avoid the whirlpool, lest ye may drown.
Avoid the whirlpool, in fear of ye may drown.
Avoid the whirlpool, for fear that ye may drown.
They avoided the whirlpool, lest drowning.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: In Fear of - 06/17/06 03:34 PM
Quote:

Quote:

No, that is much better. It should work like substitution in algebra. Observe:

Avoid the whirlpool, lest ye may drown.
Avoid the whirlpool, in fear of ye may drown.
Avoid the whirlpool, for fear that ye may drown.
They avoided the whirlpool, lest drowning.

...Why not just "Avoid the whirlpool, lest ye drown."?
Posted By: Aramis Re: In Fear of - 06/19/06 05:25 PM

...Why not just "Avoid the whirlpool, lest ye drown."?

Seemed to sing better at the time, as if the drowning part was not a certainty. But pondering it later, Could it that may be wrong, and might would make right? Wishing to have that little brown grammar book from elementary school again. "Lest ye drown" does sound better anyway.
Posted By: marilynmonroe Re: In Fear of - 07/03/06 09:49 PM
By faith, he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood lest he who destroyed the firstborn should touch them [Israel]. (NKJ)

By faith, he kept the Passover, and the sprinkling of the blood, that the destroyer of the firstborn should not touch them. (WEB)

By faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of the blood, that the destroyer of the firstborn should not touch them. (ASV)

By faith he kept the Passover, and put the sign of the blood on the houses, so that the angel of destruction might not put their oldest sons to death. (BBE)

By faith he celebrated the passover and the sprinkling of the blood, that the destroyer of the firstborn might not touch them. (DBY)

Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them. (KJV)

Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the first-born should touch them. (WBS)

Through faith he instituted the Passover, and the sprinkling with blood so that the destroyer of the firstborn might not touch the Israelites. (WEY)

by faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of the blood, that He who is destroying the first-born might not touch them. (YLT)

...and many more translations. The use of 'lest' in the New King James and other translations carries the kind of impact I believe you have discussed here.
© Wordsmith.org