Wordsmith.org
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 12:22 AM
from the Word Detective "Bob's your uncle" discussion:

>>Since the very word nepotism derives from the Italian word for nephew (from the practice of Italian popes giving preferment to nephews, a euphemism for their bastard sons)...<<

I did not know that.
Posted By: Jackie Re: nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 02:36 AM
No wonder religion gets such a bad rap.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 05:59 AM
Some might suggest that any connection between medieval Italian popes and religion is coincidental. Not me, of course ...
Posted By: Jackie Re: nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 02:04 PM
I've just begun reading The Illuminator (can't think of the author, and the book's downstairs). It is set in the late 1300's, and I'm getting indications that there was at that time a French pope, whom somebody(ies) in Britain was wanting to get rid of. Is this accurate, does anyone know? I haven't studied history of religion, really; I don't recall ever hearing of a pope in France.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 02:09 PM
try here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_popes
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 06:30 PM
Quote:

... I'm getting indications that there was at that time a French pope, whom somebody(ies) in Britain was wanting to get rid of. Is this accurate, does anyone know? I haven't studied history of religion, really; I don't recall ever hearing of a pope in France.

Pope Clement V moved the Roman Curia to Avignon in 1309, which the Cardinals found most galling.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: nepotism etymology - 03/30/06 07:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

... I'm getting indications that there was at that time a French pope, whom somebody(ies) in Britain was wanting to get rid of. Is this accurate, does anyone know? I haven't studied history of religion, really; I don't recall ever hearing of a pope in France.

Pope Clement V moved the Roman Curia to Avignon in 1309, which the Cardinals found most galling.

In three part disharmony, even.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Cæsar Salad - 03/30/06 07:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

You two ever thought of hitting the vaudeville circuit?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: seize her Salad - 03/30/06 09:35 PM
> vaudeville circuit?

just don't ask one of them to play the pope organ....
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: nepotistic oenology - 03/30/06 11:32 PM
Avignon in 1309

This did lead, indirectly, to the naming of a rather marvelous wine, Chateauneuf-du-Pape.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Cæsar Salad - 03/31/06 12:18 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You two ever thought of hitting the vaudeville circuit?

No, but we're thinking of writing a Romaine-a-clef. Let us tell you the plot. It's set in Crouton-on-Hudson, down the road a bacon bit from you. Background music will be done on Father Steve's mandoline when we finally get around to the movie. We think it will bowl you over. Is than an oeuf?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Cæsar Salad - 03/31/06 12:46 AM
Someday after we retire we can look back on the show and say "Truly, those were our salad days."
Posted By: Sparteye Chateauneuf-du-Pape - 04/02/06 02:27 AM
There's a breeding farm for Newfoundland dogs called "Chateau Newf du Pup."
© Wordsmith.org