Wordsmith.org
Posted By: dalehileman Red tops - 03/08/06 05:31 PM
meaning tabloids. Get over 12,000 hits but only a few hundred -uk -au -nz -nu -aussie -brit -british -cockney

Therefore in your most valuable opinion can I not reasonably assume that this term is rare leftpondwise , or at least obscure
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 05:35 PM
never heard it. thought you might be talking about ConverseŽ All-Star hi-tops...
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 05:44 PM
or a non-misnomer for carrot top
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 05:55 PM
Nope. Red tops.

Newspapers whose mastheads are (or were) printed with red ink to make them stand out on the stand.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 06:08 PM
DRAFT ADDITIONS SEPTEMBER 2003 ŠOED3

* A. adj.

Brit. [With allusion to the red background on which the titles of certain British newspapers are printed.] Of or relating to a tabloid newspaper.

* B. n.

Brit. A tabloid newspaper.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 06:17 PM
The people who took over the Chuck Taylor line of high-top tennies sent me an e-mail offering me green ones, just for the Feast of Blessed Patrick of Ireland.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 06:34 PM
I was in journalism for 20 years and never heard the expression, fwiw.

(this is re: Dale, not re: Fr Steve, I went all flatline and forgot who I was sposed to be responding to)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Charles Taylor - 03/08/06 06:47 PM
> Chuck Taylor

I have a great pair of purple ones, with matching purple laces, but alas, they're a bit too worn for school wear. now I'm wearing my "distressed black". very cool.

you now may go back to your regularly scheduled Conversation...
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 07:34 PM
I've never heard that expression Dale. Where are you from? Do you think it is a regionalism?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Red tops - 03/08/06 08:39 PM
bel: Neither had I and that's why I speculated it must either be very obscure and/or an almost exclusively rightpond expression

I am from the Midwest and California

Anna: I have often done that too and that's why I usu prefer "Quick reply" rather than "Reply " or "Quote" so that if I forget what I'm saying or whom I'm saying it to I can scroll up for a quick review
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Charles Taylor - 03/08/06 08:50 PM
One of my parishioners bought me a pair which is black but which has red, yellow and orange flames rising from the soles. I wear them exclusively on the Feast of Pentecost ... with vestments ... to the delight of some of the younger (hipper) members of the flock (and to the dismay of some others).
Posted By: themilum Re: Charles Taylor - 03/08/06 10:28 PM
Of course, Father Steve, you dig that your outre display is a dismay to the continuity of the raison d'etre of the Feast.

Or do you dig?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Charles Taylor - 03/08/06 10:49 PM
No digging here.

I rather thought that the flames on my shoes were reminiscent of the tongues of fire reputed to have danced upon the heads of those disciples of Jesus gathered in a locked room. As a matter of fact, one of the "red sets" of Eucharistic vestments in our place has a motif of flames as its pattern.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Charles Taylor - 03/08/06 11:09 PM
rock on, Padre!!
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Charles Taylor - 03/08/06 11:45 PM
For those of a more visual persuasion, here's a photo:

The Shoes
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Charles Taylor - 03/09/06 12:06 AM
sweeet!
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Charles Taylor - 03/09/06 05:21 AM
eta~

Stylin' Cons, dude!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Charles Taylor - 03/09/06 10:10 AM
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Charles Taylor - 03/09/06 01:10 PM
Father Steve those would be handy for a fire and brimstone sermon as well.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Charles Taylor - 03/09/06 01:30 PM
Quote:

Father Steve those would be handy for a fire and brimstone sermon as well.

Yup. These are the types that fry men's soles.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 03:25 PM
Thanks guys, but to get back to the thread, am I not correct in assuming from my Googling that this usage is either obsolete or almost exclusively offshore
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 03:33 PM
Define offshore

It's a Britspeak, Dale. Pure and simple. We don't have red tops here in the US, at least not in newspapers.
Posted By: Myridon Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 03:49 PM
See Topic on WordWizard where you found the word in the first place
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 04:10 PM
Quote:

Yup. These are the types that fry men's soles.

*golf clap*
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 04:15 PM
(as noted above) even the OED says "Brit. .. Brit."
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 05:15 PM
*golf clap*

A social disease contracted in club-houses?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 05:46 PM
tsu: Yes thank you, from my Googling results thought it might. More to the point, however, if you're a leftponder having extensive contact the Mother Tongue, do you consider the usage common over here
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 05:49 PM
Quote:

*golf clap*

A social disease contracted in club-houses?

More likely from teeing off in front of the clubhouse. I'd not heard the term before and figured it was an understated round of applause that's apparently typical at golf tournaments.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 05:52 PM
>do you consider the usage common over here

never heard (of) it before this thread.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: Charles Taylor - 03/10/06 10:30 PM
tsu: Neither had I, and that was another reason for the thread, one reason for which was to help validate the technique suggested by the two Googlings. A ratio of 40:1 appears to be an almost certain indication, as TEd confirms

Unless of course the base figures are much larger, as reflected in a ratio of say 12 million to 300,000, in which case one might suspect it has caught on leftpondwise as well

I find as a rule of thumb that less than 276 onshore hits brands an expression as not current nor widespread

These criteria are of course subject to adjustment by extended verification and hence the need for additional followups--my most hearty thanks, all
© Wordsmith.org