Wordsmith.org
Posted By: rkerstie kalishnokov - 03/05/01 10:54 PM
Anyone know the origin of "kalishnokov", as in a kalishnokov rifle? It rings eponymous, but from whom? A literary or military figure?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: kalishnokov - 03/05/01 11:25 PM
welcome a-Board, rkerstie

you may have had trouble looking this one up because the spelling you offer is different than that suggested by the search engine that i used (Atomica.com)

Here's what Atomica had to say:

"Kalashnikov, Mikhail
kalashnikof
(1919 –)
Russian gun designer. Drafted into the Russian army in 1938, he was seriously wounded in 1941, and while recovering in hospital listened to the complaints of his many fellow patients of the inferiority of the Russian rifle. In response he designed the Avtomat Kalishnikova, the AK-47 machine gun, of which over 50 million have been produced. "

as an aside, it's ironic that you mention a weapon, as i just heard about yet *another* school shooting, this one occurring in Southern California today, leaving two children dead and 13 injured. *sigh*
Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: kalishnokov - 03/06/01 10:54 AM
> he designed the Avtomat Kalishnikova

What an achievement! During the war in Bosnia, many people including myself, were offered these and other Russian weapons brought up from the Baltic exclusively to sell in Germany.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: kalishnokov - 03/06/01 04:02 PM
kalishnokov... kalishnokov... I like it; it sounds like a Real Man's ballet.

© Wordsmith.org