Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu denomination - 01/26/06 02:35 PM
in this (fascinating) article: where's george, this sentence made me question my usage:
Quote:

Participants can register a dollar bill, of any denomination, and monitor its geographic circulation.

(emphasis added)
I would have thought that "dollar bill" was the denomination, but I guess they're talking about the serial number?
Posted By: nancyk Re: denomination - 01/26/06 02:52 PM
My first inclination is to agree that a dollar bill is the denomination, except that we *do say "a 5-dollar bill" or a "50-dollar bill." So, logically, there can be "dollar bills" of more than one denomination. No?
Posted By: Myridon Re: denomination - 01/26/06 03:57 PM
It's rather telling that the punctuation is also (IMHO) wrong, i.e. there shouldn't be commas around "of any denomination", but there could be commas if it was "OR any denomination".
Posted By: tsuwm Re: denomination - 01/26/06 04:12 PM
if you can actually get in to http://www.wheresgeorge.com/ (thanks to this article), the tracking form lets you select from 1/2/5/10/20/50/100 dollar denominations.
Posted By: AlimaeHP Re: denomination - 01/27/06 12:52 AM
It is my understanding that the usage of the word denomination is basically defined as:

a value or size of a series of values or sizes (as of money) or a name, designation; especially: a general name for a category

So with this in mind the phrase of :

Quote:

Participants can register a dollar bill, of any denomination, and monitor its geographic circulation.

Is correct for it is specifically stating that the amount, or denomination, can be anything with in a dollar format, as opposed to say coin, check or cash format.

Just my opinion
Posted By: Jackie Re: denomination - 01/27/06 01:58 AM
We-ell, look who's back! Hey, Alimae, how've you been?

JFTR, I had been going to make a post responding to the topic, but tsuwm beat me to it.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: denomination - 01/27/06 02:55 AM
hmm, I guess. a dollar bill is just a dollar to me. $1.

not sure how I would say it otherwise, though, so I guess that's that.

thanks all.
Posted By: Jackie Re: denomination - 01/27/06 02:58 AM
eta, maybe this will help: have you ever seen just a part of a bill sticking out of somewhere, and wondered what denomination it was?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: denomination - 01/27/06 03:02 AM
I don't have a problem with the word denomination meaning different amounts, I do have problems with them saying "a dollar bill, of any denomination". a dollar bill is $1. that's it. it's not a $5, or $20.
but again, I don't know what I'd say in it's place: "paper money of any denomination"? maybe.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: denomination - 01/27/06 09:11 AM
"a bank note of any dollar denomination"

I think you're objecting because it makes it sound like it ought to be, e.g., "a five dollars dollar bill" (?)

Time to go back to bed, but what is the difference in the function of the modifier "dollar" in eta's two options ("dollar" and "dollar")?
Posted By: Faldage Re: denomination - 01/27/06 10:57 AM
I'm with eta, here. The phrase "a dollar bill" defaults to a one dollar bill. The way it's presented here you have to shift gears when faced with "of any denomination."

How else to say it? I think Jackie got it when she asked, "have you ever seen just a part of a bill sticking out of somewhere …" (emphasis mine)
Posted By: AlimaeHP Yep, back again. - 01/27/06 11:18 AM
Hi Jackie,

I have been really sick. Had surgery and all so finally after a year of pain and hardly being able to get out of bed, I am up and running around pain free.

Good to see you. Hugs.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: denomination - 01/27/06 12:13 PM
I'm with eta too. I'm just wondering why.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: denomination - 01/27/06 12:18 PM
Reminds me of those in the South who call soda (or is it pop) generically coke. I'd probably say, "US currency of any denomination." But that's me. (There's a couple of presidents I'd like to de-nominate.)
Posted By: inselpeter Re: denomination - 01/27/06 12:25 PM
I mean the dollar/dollar rift. I'll see if I can formulate the question better when I get to work (just too busy, here at home ;;)).

(We ain't the only ones with dollars, neither, btw).
Posted By: Jackie Re: denomination - 01/27/06 03:26 PM
Holy cow, Alimae--how horrible for you! Belated (that first came out bleated!) sympathies. Glad you're feeling better!

a dollar bill, of any denomination I just realized that, to prevent changing mental gears for the second part, I'd have to put a different emPHAsis (hi, tsuwm) in the first: I say 'one DOLlar', but 'a one-dollar BILL'; so to not be thrown by the second part of the phrase, I'd have to think-read the first as "a (something)-dollar BILL". They should have put an x- or even a fill-in-the-blank space before that first 'dollar'.
Posted By: Zed Re: denomination - 01/27/06 11:21 PM
Glad you're feeling better Ali.
Posted By: AlimaeHP Re: denomination - 01/29/06 12:15 AM
Thank you Jackie, I truly appriciate that.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: denomination - 01/30/06 12:29 AM
eta, maybe this will help: have you ever seen just a part of a bill sticking out of somewhere, and wondered what denomination it was?

Nah, you can usually tell by the colour
Posted By: Jackie Re: denomination - 01/30/06 02:02 AM
bel--PHHHHBBBBBBBBBTTTTTT!

Actually, I think it would be excellent if the U.S. changed its bills significantly; NZ's are really cool--they have these little plastic inserts:
Sir Edmund Hillary
Of course, the time is likely coming eventually when we won't even HAVE actual money.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: denomination - 01/30/06 02:05 AM
Seriously though Jackie, isn't the U.S. supposed to start putting colours in their bills in the near future?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: denomination - 01/30/06 02:12 AM
Quote:

bel--PHHHHBBBBBBBBBTTTTTT!

Actually, I think it would be excellent if the U.S. changed its bills significantly; NZ's are really cool--they have these little plastic inserts:
Sir Edmund Hillary
Of course, the time is likely coming eventually when we won't even HAVE actual money.

Yup, that's our Ed. One of very few living non Heads of State on money. Course, he's well over 80, so the adjective in the previous sentence may not apply for much longer. Ausiie money's got even more plastic in it than ours, though, iirc. Oh, and here in Zild, cash is pretty much a relic anyway. EFTPOS and Internet banking have seen to that. Now that more places accept payment by mobile phones, the demise of the folding stuff looks to be pickinh up speed.
Posted By: Myridon Re: denomination - 01/30/06 04:17 PM
Quote:

Seriously though Jackie, isn't the U.S. supposed to start putting colours in their bills in the near future?

The colored $20's came out in 2003 http://www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney/main.cfm/currency/new20, the 50's in 2004, and the 10's will be out in March. The 100 is supposed to be colored but it has not been announced when. There are no plans in the works to redo 5's, 2's or 1's.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: denomination - 01/30/06 06:31 PM
From the article: ....subtle green, peach and blue to both sides of the note.

I wonder why they decided to go so subtle? The colour is not very noticeable.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: denomination - 01/30/06 06:42 PM
we're a subtle country. haven't you noticed?

Posted By: Jackie Re: denomination - 01/30/06 06:44 PM
[rofl]!
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: denomination - 01/30/06 07:36 PM
Quote:

From the article: ....subtle green, peach and blue to both sides of the note.

I wonder why they decided to go so subtle? The colour is not very noticeable.

Gee, if our money is in any way unsatisfactory, you can just send it on to me and I'll dispose of it for you.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: denomination - 01/31/06 12:00 AM
No, no, I have no trouble in the spending department, thank you very much.
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: denomination - 01/31/06 05:09 PM
Edit: I deleted my post. There was no love in it.

But let me just say, the question you've raised, dear thread starter, is a worthy and interesting one.

I intend to give it serious thought before replying, as I was latterly wont to do, with some off the cuff criticism.

That's what I love about AWADtalk! So many divers topics for us to discuss!

XOX.
© Wordsmith.org