Wordsmith.org
Posted By: double_lefty thought-full - 12/29/05 09:49 AM
I am looking for a word to describe a person who is thought-full.
Quite literally, full of thoughts. I don't mean pensive because that
seems to imply that the thinking is only introspective. Rather, I am
interested in finding a term for someone who thinks about things on
his/her own but also engages in that thought process with others. I feel
that there must be a word out there for the kind of person who is
always discussing, considering, ruminating, engaging with questions
and thoughts. Any help?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: thought-full - 12/29/05 12:52 PM
How about: "AWADer."

Welcome, Lefty. Does your handle suggest you also use your left foot in soccer/futbol?

Good food for thought, your question.
Posted By: maverick Re: thought-full - 12/29/05 01:37 PM
Hi lefty, welcome.

Would any of these fit your concept?

Intellectual
Intelligentsia
Ratiocinator

Of course, those who *only play football are probably more like to call us more derogatory names such as clever clogs, clever dicks and so on, but we take no notice…
Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: thought-full - 12/29/05 03:43 PM

I was considering that philosopher was good, but that doesn't necessarily meet all the requirements.

Zetetic perhaps?

Pyrrhonist?
Posted By: Marianna Re: thought-full - 12/29/05 04:16 PM
A thinker?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: thought-full - 12/29/05 04:23 PM
Is "pragmatist" useful?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: thought-full - 12/29/05 05:43 PM
"Deliberative" is about as close as I can come. Maybe the Mother Tongue needs a new word

I have noticed that often no word exists for a combination of concepts (eg, both thoughtful and engaging)
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: thought-full - 12/30/05 11:37 AM
Quote:

"Deliberative" is about as close as I can come. Maybe the Mother Tongue needs a new word

I have noticed that often no word exists for a combination of concepts (eg, both thoughtful and engaging)

See AnnaS's response..
Posted By: inselpeter Re: thought-full - 12/30/05 03:01 PM
But then, if there were a noun for every idea, there would be no paragraphs.
Posted By: Jackie Re: thought-full - 12/30/05 03:27 PM
the kind of person who is
always discussing, considering, ruminating, engaging with questions and thoughts.

This kind of person is known in my circles as one who is interesting to be around; possibly stimulating.
Posted By: themilum Re: thought-full - 12/31/05 07:26 AM
What you describe Lefty, is an "entheostic" as defined...

a person of actuating powers and inspiration

Of course you'll have to explain what "entheos" means each time you use the term, but what the heck...spread the word.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: smoke if you got 'em - 12/31/05 01:19 PM
> you'll have to explain what "entheos" means

entheogenic via wikipedia.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: thought-full - 12/31/05 04:40 PM
entheostic is not to be found at OneLook; entheastic seems to be the word.

The entheastic (or such as are agitated by a divine fury). - Thomas Taylor, Plotinus, Introd. (tr. 1794)

But the entheastic character, or he who is under the influence of divine inspiration, unfolding the truth itself by itself concerning the Gods, most perspicuously ranks among the highest imitators. - Algis Uzdavinys, Golden Chain: An Anthology of Pythagorean and Platonic Philosophy (2004)
Posted By: themilum Re: thought-full - 12/31/05 05:07 PM
Maybeso, fellows.
I picked up "entheos" from a review of the book Entheos: the God Within by Rene Dubos. An excerpt is below...

... entheos, a Greek term meaning 'god within,' from which our familiar word enthusiasm comes. He states it is this that drives man on into ever new ventures and greater creativity. Yet it would be better to say that it is not only enthusiasm in the ordinary sense, but also inspiration, for both are expressions of entheos, the god within. This suggests the kind of enthusiasm that Plato might have had in mind when he said the power of the poet to move the souls of men came through an ecstasy or 'divine mania' resulting from an overshadowing or 'possession' by the god Apollo, symbol of the Logos or universal mind.

This point of view opens up a larger vista of what is implied by the Greek term entheos, encompassing much more than the peculiarities of a personality that lasts only one lifetime. Dubos expounds it 'scientifically,' as the manifestation of what we inherit genetically and distill from our experience. He says that our ideals and what we commit ourselves to, flow from or are the expression of this entheos, thus accounting for the kinds of thoughts which emerge from us, and what we do.
Posted By: themilum Re: thought-full - 01/01/06 11:40 PM
Well...?
Posted By: Faldage Re: thought-full - 01/02/06 12:34 PM
Well what?
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: thought-full - 01/02/06 03:18 PM
"Do you always answer a question with a question?"

"Do I do that?"
Posted By: wsieber Re: thought-full - 01/04/06 03:23 PM
Hi, welcome!
Today I was reading a book by the mathematician Anatoly Rapoport. This man seems to fit squarely the category of people you have in mind. At the same time he can be characterized by the single word genius.
© Wordsmith.org