Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/30/05 04:09 PM
so, maybe this is only me, and I need to lighten up, but is there a word for the change of feeling when you try to do something nice for someone and they ignore you, and you just end up getting angry/frustrated instead?
Posted By: consuelo Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/30/05 05:58 PM
Psycho?

Seriously, I know what you mean. Letdown?
Posted By: Logwood Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/30/05 10:20 PM
Or comedown?

Chagrin? anticlimax? killjoy? damper?

Can't think of anything else... bah, thought I could come up with more, what a chagrin!
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/31/05 12:08 AM
Justifiable homicide?
heh. ®

letdown comes close, I guess, but I think I'm still looking...
Posted By: Faldage Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/31/05 11:12 AM
Righteous indignation.
Posted By: Jackie Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/31/05 01:11 PM
Faldage has what would fit the closest for me, but I'll add 'disappointment' anyway.
Which leads me into thinking about expectations: things like this always seem worse when we have been expecting gratitude, or at the very least acknowledgement. Something, akin to assumptions I guess, that I've not been able to completely rid myself of yet. Even when long history would seem to warrant you being able to expect a certain behavior, people can still let you down--which of course wouldn't have happened if you had not had the expectation.
yeah, righteous indignation is getting close. I don't know that I have expectations for gratitude, it's just that you want to do something nice, because that makes you feel good, and then, poof, somebody doesn't accept it. hmm.
Posted By: Jackie Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/31/05 01:47 PM
Yeah. I have learned, though, that sometimes there are reasons why someone doesn't accept a helping hand. For ex.: 1.) they're just independent cusses; 2.) they think YOU think they're less than fully independent, and they can't stand this idea; 3.) they're simply too preoccupied with other things to notice either the helping hand, and/or to bother to show appreciation. And then again--sometimes it's that they're just plain rude!
well, I think this particular situation was mostly #3, but that happens often these days, it seems...
Posted By: inselpeter Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 10/31/05 02:13 PM
And people sometimes simply view help as interference -- which does *not necessarily make them independent cusses. In such cases, it's best not to take it personally.
Posted By: Homo Loquens For want of a better word. - 10/31/05 02:25 PM
Disgruntlement? Umbrage?

Everyone gets stuck for a word now and then.

Like this classic, from Poe :

There were the junior clerks of flash houses - young gentlemen with tight coats, bright boots, well-oiled hair, and supercilious lips. Setting aside a certain dapperness of carriage, which may be termed deskism for want of a better word, the manner of these persons seemed to be an exact facsimile of what had been the perfection of bon ton about twelve or eighteen months before.

-- The Man of the Crowd, 1840

Deskism?

[cough-terrible-cough]

The mot juste this is not.

(I wonder is there a word for this common experience of being bereft of words... for lexical amnesia... for not being quite able to pin it down in a word?)
Posted By: Jackie Re: For want of a better word. - 11/01/05 01:38 AM
What was a flash house, please?
Posted By: inselpeter Re: For want of a better word. - 11/01/05 01:45 AM
Quote:

A brothel, for the wearers of cheap, flashy jewelry who frequent them.
Posted By: Jackie Re: For want of a better word. - 11/01/05 02:23 PM
Thanks! Do we have bling houses, today?
Posted By: BlkBtrfly6 Re: looking for a word: happy to angry - 11/01/05 04:35 PM
Just last week I heard from a former 3rd grade student of mine, now in 6th. She sent me a poem which will help you handle your predicament:

Perspective

By Jamie

Some people care,

Some people don't.

So don't sit around

and mope

Just because

A friend in need

Does not consider

Your well

Thought-out

Deed.
Posted By: maygodbwidu Re: For want of a better word. - 11/01/05 04:40 PM
Quote:

Disgruntlement? Umbrage?

Everyone gets stuck for a word now and then.

Like this classic, from Poe :

There were the junior clerks of flash houses - young gentlemen with tight coats, bright boots, well-oiled hair, and supercilious lips. Setting aside a certain dapperness of carriage, which may be termed deskism for want of a better word, the manner of these persons seemed to be an exact facsimile of what had been the perfection of bon ton about twelve or eighteen months before.

-- The Man of the Crowd, 1840

Deskism?

[cough-terrible-cough]

The mot juste this is not.

(I wonder is there a word for this common experience of being bereft of words... for lexical amnesia... for not being quite able to pin it down in a word?)

hmm.. i think we all need a word for this oh-so-very ubiquitous situation..not being able to find the right word when we require it..
nothing strikes me.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: For want of a better word. - 11/01/05 05:38 PM
>I wonder is there a word for this common experience of being bereft of words... for lexical amnesia... for not being quite able to pin it down in a word?<

I'd tell you what it is, but I'm suffering from lethologica.
Posted By: maygodbwidu Re: For want of a better word. - 11/02/05 02:56 AM
o great..thats a real help..now it would be easier to flip people around!!
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: For want of a better word. - 11/02/05 09:07 AM
Lethologica!

I didn't know there was a word for it! That's so... so... happy-making.
Posted By: Homo Loquens Re: For want of a better word. - 11/05/05 04:15 AM
re : lethologica

Wouldn't "letholexica" (or something like it) make more sense?

How does "lethologica" break down etymologically?
Posted By: tsuwm the making of lethologica - 11/05/05 06:55 AM
Gr. logos word, speech, discourse, reason
Gr. lethe forgetfulness

edit: perhaps you'd prefer loganamnosis.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: the making of lethologica - 11/05/05 11:57 AM
Or logamnesia -- oh wait, I'll bet that means forgetting your password.
Posted By: Bingley Re: For want of a better word. - 11/11/05 03:38 AM
Quote:

Quote:

A brothel, for the wearers of cheap, flashy jewelry who frequent them.

For all I know brothels may have been called flash houses, but that meaning doesn't seem to fit the context:

the complete text

I think it's unlikely that brothels would employ junior clerks. And Poe distinguishes between 'junior clerks of flash houses' and 'upper clerks of staunch firms'. I think 'house' here just means business or company -- as it often did in the 19th century -- and a flash house would mean a probably ephemeral company where the emphasis was on style rather than substance (perhaps we would say flashy these days rather than flash).
© Wordsmith.org