Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh docent - 12/01/02 01:39 AM
TEd Remington used this word correctly over a year ago, but I don't remember seeing it then.
I just encountered it in an "engines" episode about a museum "docent" not understanding why
a spinning skater with her arms outstretched, spins faster when she brings them to her sides.

docent
n.
5Ger, earlier sp. of dozent, teacher, lecturer < L docens, prp. of docere, to teach: see DECENT6
1 in some American universities, a teacher or lecturer not on the regular faculty
2 a tour guide and lecturer, as at a museum

Posted By: dxb Re: docent - 12/05/02 12:45 PM
My first encounter with this word was about six years ago on Pier 39 in San Francisco where I was standing watching the sealions. There was a notice saying that docents were available to give information about the beasts. What in the world is a docent, I thought. I did take the trouble to find out, but still have not found the word to be in use outside the United States.

Posted By: wwh Re: docent - 12/05/02 01:41 PM
"Docent" is a term very frequently used in Europe, and is beginning to be copied in U.S.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: docent - 12/05/02 01:48 PM
I don't know about your "recently," wwh.

We've had docents available to the school system here in Chesterfield for at least twenty years--docents provided by the Richmond Symphony Orchestra.

How recent is recent?

And it is a good to have a decent docent.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: docent - 12/05/02 03:07 PM
Just curious... what "recently"??

Posted By: Wordwind Re: docent recently beginning - 12/05/02 03:36 PM
Why, AnnaS! The recently imbedded in beginning! Put on your Xray glasses! You'll see it there.

What is the form of dyslexia called that replaces words on the page with ones not apparent?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: docent recently beginning - 12/05/02 04:08 PM
I can be way too literal sometimes...

Posted By: sjm Re: docent - 12/05/02 06:06 PM
>"Docent" is a term very frequently used in Europe.

That seems somewhat unlikely, given that, for the overwhelming majority of its inhabitants, English is not their first language.

Posted By: Faldage Re: docent - 12/05/02 06:19 PM
English is not their first language.

It's pretty much straight Latin. The nominative singular is docens but the root is docent-.

Posted By: sjm Re: docent - 12/05/02 06:26 PM
>It's pretty much straight Latin.

Resisting the temptation to make Ricky Martin jokes, I suspect that my little nitpick would still stand. I still think it likely that the word "docent" would have been modified from that exact form in many, if not most, of the European languages in which it appears.

Posted By: Faldage Re: docent - 12/05/02 06:29 PM
modified from that exact form in many, if not most, of the European languages in which it appears.

Yeah, in German, from whence we got it if AHD is to be believed, it's Dozent.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: docent - 12/05/02 09:15 PM
well, they're cheaper by the dozent...

Posted By: wwh Re: docent - 12/05/02 11:32 PM
Many a German scholar had to endure penurious years as Privatdozent before achieving
a university position.Here's a URL about it, very interesting, but so long I nearly went blind
without finding the quote I wanted:
... At Bologna the most famous was the College
of Spain founded by Egidio ... recruiting of professors was provided for by the system of
Privatdozents, ie instructors ...
[url]www.newadvent.org/cathen/15188a.htm [/urk]

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: dozent - 12/06/02 02:23 PM
We have many docents at our local art museum, often ordinary but interested members of the community who have received some special training to understand the collection. I was surprised to learn from this thread that the term isn't widely known.

This particularly rapid
Unintelligible patter
Isn't generally heard
And if it is it dozent matter !

{with apoologies to W S Gilbert)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: dozent - 12/06/02 04:16 PM
I've heard it here in flyover land... doesn't that qualify as widely known?

Posted By: wofahulicodoc "widely known"? - 12/06/02 07:32 PM
What in the world is a docent, I thought. I did take the trouble to find out, but still have not found the word to be in use outside the United States.

"Docent" is a term very frequently used in Europe, and is beginning to be copied in U.S.

I've heard it here in flyover land... doesn't that qualify as widely known?

Well, I'm not sure what to call it...everybody thinks that we know it, but nobody else does, yet.
Is that widely known, or not widely known? Or widely erroneously known? Or just not widely recognized? (whatever _that_ means)

Posted By: emanuela docente - 12/07/02 03:33 PM
I am not sure to having got exactly the point. Anyway, docente is commonly used in Italian to mean "the teaching person", mostly for professors at University level, but it can be appropriate even for for teaching every kind of subject.

Posted By: tsuwm from today's paper - 12/09/02 02:44 PM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/389/3479899.html

Posted By: wwh Re: from today's paper - 12/09/02 03:43 PM
So now we have ten or twelve year old PhD equivalents. That's really progress.

© Wordsmith.org