Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tom zurinskas peripatetic - in truespel - 02/25/09 02:29 PM
I enjoy this is site. I see it uses "no-name-spell" for phonetics. (I call it this because it has no name as far as I can find out). That notation is useful because it's English friendly with no special symbols. Truespel is as well. It's indicated by a tilde(~). See below

peripatetic

PRONUNCIATION:(per-uh-puh-TET-ik)

As I hear it spoken in truespel notation it's ~pairuputtetik
~pair as in "pair"
~up as in "up"
~ut as in "ut" etc.
Note thet stress is first syllable or after a double consonant.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/25/09 03:23 PM
>Note thet stress is first syllable or after a double consonant.

so you pronounce your name zur-ins-KAS?
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/25/09 11:55 PM
Originally Posted By: tom zurinskas
I enjoy this is site. I see it uses "no-name-spell" for phonetics. (I call it this because it has no name as far as I can find out). That notation is useful because it's English friendly with no special symbols. Truespel is as well. It's indicated by a tilde(~). See below

peripatetic

As I hear it spoken in truespel notation it's ~pairuputtetik
~pair as in "pair"
~up as in "up"
~ut as in "ut" etc.
Note thet stress is first syllable or after a double consonant.

Am I the only one who wants to pronounce it...

per-ee-puh-tet-ik (or maybe pe-ree...
Posted By: olly Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
Am I the only one who wants to pronounce it...per-ee-puh-tet-ik (or maybe pe-ree...

Not quite alone, I'd say
perry-puh-tet-ik
Posted By: tsuwm Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 01:07 AM

peripatetic

maybe it would help to specify that the 'uh's are meant to be schwas:
\'per-ə-pə-'te-tik\

[I can't get a schwa to come out]
Posted By: olly Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 01:40 AM
I can't get a schwa to come out

Neither can I, but that would make more sense.
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 03:51 AM
Nope, definitely ee for me. It's much more than a schwa.
Posted By: olly Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 03:53 AM
I enjoy this is site.

Welkum tue thu forim Taam. Ie hoep yer stae iz laung and fruetfool.
Posted By: tom zurinskas Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 02:45 PM
That's the problem with present phonetics (IPA SAMPA). Not computer friendly. Not English friendly as well. So folks use no-name-spell as a work around. Linguists are not enamored of no-name-spell so they haven't named it.

I wouldn't use "per" (which rhymes with purr) to represent the first syllable. As the speaker said it, it was "pair", which I think is the right pronunciation.

Actually schwa stands for many sounds so it's not accurate. With truespel I've spelled out all schwas. 63k words are respelled in the truespel.com converter.
Posted By: tom zurinskas Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 02/26/09 03:18 PM
My name, Tom Zurinskas, as foespeld (phonetically spelled) in truespel is ~Taam Zerrinskis~ as my folks would say it.

~aa as in "Saab"
~er as in "her"
~in as in "in" (stressed after double consonant)
~kis as in "kiss"

From my data in truespel book 3, the ~er sound (as in "her") is spelled "er" about 70% of the time.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 03/08/09 12:12 PM
That's the problem with present phonetics (IPA SAMPA). Not computer friendly. Not English friendly as well. So folks use no-name-spell as a work around. Linguists are not enamored of no-name-spell so they haven't named it.

Some of us used to use IPA on this board until some change in the software disabled the use of Unicode. I try not to use ad hoc phonetic orthographies because the cause more trouble than they're worth. The problem I have with English-based transcription systems is that they promote weird pronunciations of vowels and consonants that differ from most other languages that use the Latin alphabet. In instances where Unicode IPA is not avilable, I use SAMPA and it works well for me. A third choice would be to name the characters. (I've seen this done in ASCII-only forums where spelling using non-Latin alphabets, e.g., Hebrew). As tsuwm demonstrated, one can talk about schwas without getting the glyph to render on one's screen.

(As always, when such like is discussed, I offer the observation that a reform of English orthography is very likely not to occur in our lifetimes.)
Posted By: ParkinT Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 05/05/09 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
... a reform of English orthography is very likely not to occur in our lifetimes.)

Sad but true.
Posted By: PastorVon Re: peripatetic - in truespel - 05/06/09 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
(As always, when such like is discussed, I offer the observation that a reform of English orthography is very likely not to occur in our lifetimes.)

I would note, however, that English orthography is constantly undergoing reform and will continue to do so as long as it remains the lingua franca. AWAD itself is the proof of these facts.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic schwa - 02/17/10 06:22 PM
ǝ
Posted By: olly Re: schwa - 02/17/10 08:15 PM
ǝ

Schweet!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: schwa - 02/17/10 10:29 PM
ə

so unicode works again.. ta da!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: schwa - 02/17/10 10:37 PM
Ƒœř Ǭůīŧȅ Şơɱě Ţᵻṁḛ.
Posted By: BranShea Re: schwa - 02/17/10 11:10 PM
ինի?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: schwa - 02/18/10 12:19 AM
I just did a copy & paste.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: schwa - 02/18/10 01:24 AM
what fun is that?!
Posted By: BranShea Re: schwa - 02/18/10 11:17 AM
I did a copy and paste too. cool
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: schwa - 02/18/10 01:17 PM
copy and paste

Not me. I just used a utility called Character Map.
Posted By: Faldage Re: schwa - 02/18/10 01:20 PM

Just a random character taken from Character Map's bopomofo character set.
Posted By: BranShea Re: schwa - 02/18/10 07:15 PM
Yes, you are guys of character.
Posted By: Jackie Re: schwa - 02/19/10 02:28 AM
I just used a utility called Character Map. Er...here somewhere, or do you mean like that Ramsch (sp?) thing?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: schwa - 02/19/10 03:07 AM
here somewhere, or do you mean like that Ramsch (sp?) thing?

It's a small utility that came with the operating system. It's called different things on different machines, but MacOS X, Windows, or Linux have all got 'em.
Posted By: Jackie Re: schwa - 02/19/10 04:22 AM
Wow, right in my own computer! I never saw that before! How utterly cool! Thank you! [blowing kiss e] I'm going to have fun with that, assuming I can ever find it again.
Posted By: Faldage Re: schwa - 02/19/10 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Wow, right in my own computer! I never saw that before! How utterly cool! Thank you! [blowing kiss e] I'm going to have fun with that, assuming I can ever find it again.

Leave a trail of bread crumbs.
Posted By: tsuwm WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 02/19/10 03:52 PM
>assuming I can ever find it again.

this applies to Windows XP (and probly other versions):
after using the Character Map you will see the program (below the heavy line) in the Start Menu. that will vanish after some default period of non-use, but you can make it permanent by dragging it above the line. (there is also some limit to the number of apps you can have above the line, but if you only have a handful, not to worry. if you already have six or so, you can drag a new one higher on the list but you may lose the bottom one - but you may not use everything on the list; i.e., you may Start other apps through other means (such as shortcuts, icons on the Taskbar, etc.) - you can edit this list by right-clicking on any entry you want to remove, for instance.
Posted By: Jackie Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 02/21/10 04:43 AM
you can make it permanent by dragging it above the line. WOW, thanks; I did! (Better watch out, I might blow you another kiss!)

you can edit this list by right-clicking on any entry you want to remove This, I actually knew.

Edit: my friends here in town (all biddies, like me) think I am some kind of computer whiz; but almost everything I've learned has come from people here.
Posted By: vanguard Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 02/26/10 05:52 PM
So where do I start looking for it on my computer? I'm a biddie too!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 02/26/10 09:30 PM

The Character Map application can be started by:

Start → Run → charmap.exe

there are other ways to get to it (e.g., in XP, down the All Prgrams > Accesories > System Tools > Character Map path)
Posted By: Jackie Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 02/27/10 02:27 AM
Hey, vanguard, nice to see you again! It's been too long! I found it using Search that comes up in the Start menu.
Posted By: vanguard Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 03/16/10 06:33 PM
Thanks, I found it. I've seen it often when using Word or Excel, but didn't know I could get to it otherwise.
Posted By: vanguard Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 03/16/10 06:36 PM
Hi Jackie! Yes, it's been a long time since I hung out here. The flame wars and trolls finally got to me... I guess it's about 5 years - which it doesn't seem should be possible. I will be around once in a while; glad to see some old (not literally!!), familiar user names.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 03/16/10 07:19 PM
>The flame wars and trolls finally got to me.. glad to see some old, familiar user names.

are you insinuating that we had something to do with the flame wars?!
-joe (of course we did) friday
Posted By: olly Re: WARNING - SeniorNet Alert - 03/16/10 09:22 PM
An eristic net is easy to weave on the web.
© Wordsmith.org