Wordsmith.org
Posted By: byrnzycampbell gadarene - 08/01/05 10:30 PM
I don't have the hang of this bb yet, but I wanted to be the first to post the bible joke about this story being the first example of "devilled ham" which is a canned meat product we have in the States made by Underwood. I ate it as a kid and tried it/hated it as an adult. (Hah! the spell check mentioned "underworld" as an exchange for the company name "Underwood.")

Posted By: lindajeane Re: gadarene - 08/02/05 03:17 PM
byrnzcampbell's rush to post "deviled ham" as the culmination of the Gadarene demons and pigs, makes me rush to register to this bb so that I can respond "Ouch!" And add a "Thank You" for providing the link to humor and a childhood memory.

Posted By: Jackie Re: gadarene - 08/02/05 03:48 PM
Welcome to you, lindajeane. I too recall having Underworld (ha!) Deviled Ham sandwiches when I was a kid; it seems to have been reserved for long car trips. We'd find a place with picnic tables, and my mom would get out a loaf of bread and a couple cans of this--didn't they make some kind of chicken, too?--because of no need for refrigeration. I've not tried it as an adult, and, given the above reaction, don't think I will!

Posted By: Zed Re: gadarene - 08/03/05 12:06 AM
I liked the develled ham. Welcome to brynzy as well.
PS it was the joke I liked not the pork byproduct.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: gadarene - 08/03/05 12:27 PM
And the can had a little picture of a red devil holding a pitchfork, remember?

http://www.underwoodspreads.com/underwd_history.html

Posted By: Jomama Re: gadarene - 08/03/05 03:23 PM
My mom used to mix it with mayonnaise and pickle relish.
I liked those sandwiches better than those spread right
out of the can.

© Wordsmith.org