Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy a bit hairy.... - 12/14/04 03:23 AM
Dr bill reminded me:

trying to find some words related to
Today's Word, I thought of 'crinoline'.
Turns out it was first made from horsehair.
crinoline
1830, from Fr. "hair cloth," from It. crinolino, from crino "horsehair," from L. crinis "hair" + lino "flax, thread," from L. linum. So called from the warp and woof fibers of the original mixture.

Posted By: Jackie Re: a bit hairy.... - 12/14/04 02:20 PM
Ai-ee--I can't imagine trying to wear a horsehair crinoline! Does anybody wear crinolines, any more? And, is this 'lino' related to linoleum?

Posted By: of troy Re: a bit hairy.... - 12/14/04 02:35 PM
yup, (re:is this 'lino' related to linoleum?)

Oils, with heat, can solidify in to a hard plastic like substance that will not remelt readily (ie the splatter on you stove that hardens into concrete if you don't clean up promptly!)

Linoleum is made from linseed oil (linen or flax seed!) it's heated under pressure, and applied to a wood (cork) laminate, to make linoleum

some oils resist hardening (they are used to lubricate hot moving machinery (like your car engine) some oils harden at room temperture.
Linseed oil can do that. Linseed oil was one of the old 'bases' of oil based paints.

linoleum also is antiseptic-- it actually kills many bacteria on contact, and for many years, was the 'flooring' of choice for hospitals, and health centers..

(linoleum has com up before, and i went and looked up info on it!)

As for horse hair, it used to be the 'stuffing of choice' for sofa's and other items.

Posted By: Owlbow Re: a bit hairy.... - 12/14/04 02:59 PM
Several years ago we lived in a house built in 1753 and the walls were insulated with horse hair. In one room with a north facing wall, water would seep onto the wall from the outside when the gutters were frozen. It smelled pretty bad. I wonder if crinoline wearers took special care to stay out of the rain?

Posted By: Jackie Re: a bit hairy.... - 12/15/04 02:38 AM
Oils, with heat, can solidify in to a hard plastic like substance that will not remelt readily Cool--I didn't know that. Thanks!

Flaxseed oil--I must say I was horrified when a friend told me he was ingesting it in an effort to improve his health. At the time, all I knew was that it was poison.

water would seep onto the wall from the outside when the gutters were frozen. It smelled pretty bad. Aha--not all old houses were created equal, then. I always imagine something utterly picturesque, and never think of something like that.

Posted By: maverick Re: a bit hairy.... (bless you) - 12/16/04 01:11 AM
There once was a proud old patrician
With hair under threat of attrition:
The papular gene
Left his pate with a sheen ~
Now his thatch has become quite atrichian!

Posted By: maverick Re: a bit hairy.... (bless you) - 12/16/04 10:51 AM
A girl with lissotrichous hair
Likes to strip on the beach for a dare;
The gleam of her tresses
Whilst she undresses
Is doubtless what makes the men stare!

Posted By: Jackie Re: a bit hairy.... (bless you) - 12/17/04 02:01 PM
There was a young maverick from Wales
Who was told by his partner in sales,
"You are so pileous
You make be bilious";
Said mav: "But I don't have to buy any veils".

© Wordsmith.org