Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/12/04 11:43 AM
How delightfully synchronicitous!

polyonymous (pol-ee-ON-uh-muhs) adjective

Having or known by many names.

Posted By: Jackie Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/12/04 12:58 PM
Now, that makes me feel animositous! (Hi, F.S.!)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/13/04 08:23 AM
And were an animus of the restless nights come to be known as a polyonymous being who published dream poems anonymously, he would be an anonymous polyonymous animus.

Posted By: TheFallibleFiend Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/13/04 02:41 PM

When I travel - no matter how near or far - I am extremely irritated by polyonymous street names, as well as roadside informational messages that alternate between polyonymous structure names.

k

Posted By: Faldage Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/13/04 04:06 PM
extremely irritated by polyonymous street names

Stay out of Boston, MA.

Posted By: Zed Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/14/04 11:10 PM
When I travel - no matter how near or far - I am extremely irritated by polyonymous street names, as well as roadside informational messages that alternate between polyonymous structure names.
Great fun in Greece where the street names on my map were written in the European alphabet, in the guide book they used the European alphabit as well but with anglicised pronounciation and on the street signs the cryllic alphabet was used.
Wound up in some great places trying to get unlost though.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/17/04 09:45 AM
In reply to:

Wound up in some great places trying to get unlost though.

Can you be lost if you're in a place that satisfies your soul?

Posted By: Bingley Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/28/04 04:50 AM
Cyrillic street signs in Greece? Has some major political shift passed me by?

Bingley
Posted By: jheem Re: alfavita - 10/28/04 01:06 PM
Well, Cyril and Methodius were both Greek monks, but most call the Greek alphabet Greek, not Cyrillic (mainly for Russian and other Slavic languages that are mainly Eastern Orthodox, cf. Poles and Czechs who use the Roman alphabet).

When I visited Budapest in 1990, with the Soviet army still cooling its heels in the newly self-liberated Hungary, I had an old map of the city and my directions to a friend's family's house were in German. They said go to the Ostbahnhof (the East Train Station) and I could phone from there, and somebody would walk from their house to gather us. The map was all in Hungarian. I went to a train station that seemed more easterly than others but it was the wrong one. Finally, on the phone, they kept directing me to a large street that was not on the map. I said there's a large street running roughly how you discribe but its name is X. Oh, yes, that was the Communist name; we renamed it to what is was originally.

A few days later, in Belgrade, the situation was worse: all signs associated with the Croatian Tito and his regime had been removed. So, I would look for the name of the street and see evidence of it having been erased, destroyed, or painted over. Most signage was in the Cyrillic alphabet, too. They also had two currencies circulating: the bills were the same size and color (for the denominations) but some lacked 5 zeros. I'd pay somebody 10 New Dinars and get hundreds of thousands of Old Dinars in change. Both were still valid.

Posted By: Zed Re: today's WAD: polyonymous - 10/28/04 06:35 PM
Cyrillic street signs in Greece? Has some major political shift passed me by?
No, but an alphabetical oops passed me by.

© Wordsmith.org