Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh champerty - 04/08/04 02:25 PM
The etymology is interesting: From AHD:
champerty

SYLLABICATION: cham·per·ty
PRONUNCIATION: chmpr-t
NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. cham·per·ties
A sharing in the proceeds of a lawsuit by an outside party who has promoted the litigation.
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English champartie, from Old French champart, the lord's share of the tenant's crop, from Medieval Latin campars, camppars : Latin camp, genitive of campus, field + Latin pars, part; see part.
OTHER FORMS: champer·tous (-ts) —ADJECTIVE

Posted By: Faldage Re: champerty - 04/08/04 03:10 PM
the lord's share of the tenant's crop

Completely unrelated to faldage.

Posted By: Jackie Re: champerty - 04/09/04 12:46 AM
A sharing in the proceeds of a lawsuit by an outside party who has promoted the litigation. Kind of a low thing to do, in my opinion.

Posted By: Capfka Re: champerty - 04/09/04 02:40 AM
The outside party may have put up the money to bring the law suit.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: champerty - 04/09/04 09:24 AM
just another form of investment, eh?

Posted By: Jackie Re: champerty - 04/09/04 12:56 PM
Yeah, it's that "sharing in the proceeds" that makes it low, IMO. If somebody lacked the funds to file a justifiable suit, I wouldn't mind donating money if I were able. But I can't imagine filing a lawsuit strictly for personal gain.

Posted By: wwh Re: champerty - 04/09/04 03:52 PM
I have a suspicion that the "product liability" lawsuits
which destroyed the small aircraft manufacturers represents
a way in which champerty can be against the public interest.
A man I knew of was drinking with some friends close to midnight when a girl said she had never flown at night. So he gallantly offered to give her a flight immediately. The
plane crashed killing all aboard. The widow was solicited
to sue the aircraft manufacturer, and did so, just because
she needed money so badly. I don't think she got any money,
but the aircraft manufacturer got stuck with cost of defense
of a suit that should not have been allowed, because it was
so clear that the pilot had been intoxicated.

Posted By: dwavle Re: champerty - 04/12/04 02:10 PM
Let's remember that, strictly speaking, it's champerty that brings the courts to the little guy. Think about the typical car accident victim - you can be sure, most of the time, that his attorney is being paid on a contingency basis. In other words, the attorney doesn't get paid unless the plaintiff gets an award at trial. The attorney takes a big chance that she won't get paid for her time and effort, and the plaintiff/victim gets a shot at compensation without taking the big financial risk of losing. This is also beneficial to the system - a contingency fee attorney won't take a case unless it's a pretty strong one, because it otherwise wouldn't be worth the almost certain financial loss.

dsw

DSW
© Wordsmith.org