Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Derby - 01/08/04 02:12 PM
Being a huge "fitba" (soccer) fan, I have to add that the word derby (pr: DAR-bee) is used in the UK to describe a match held between two local or regional teams. These games are usually very spirited both on and off the pitch, and are the source of great anticipation as they afford the winning team's supporters local bragging rights until the next match. The US equivalent would be the storied "Subway Series" held between NYC baseball teams.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Derby - 01/08/04 02:15 PM
That's an interesting bit, Doug! Thanks. And good to see you posting again.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Subway Series - 01/09/04 12:56 AM
Hey--that was in one of my word puzzles the other day, and I had no idea what it referred to; thanks. NYC baseball teams: um, the Mets and the...Jets? Is the Subway Series, like, a prelude to the World Series?

Posted By: Solamente, Doug. Re: Subway Series - 01/09/04 06:38 AM
Ha-ha! I purposely left out the team names because I couldn't remember which ones they were. It was a few World Series around mid-century, my best guess is the New York Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers.
As we used to plead in the sandlots of my youth as an errant ball rolled farther than we deigned to chase, "A little help here!"

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Subway Series - 01/09/04 01:21 PM
Jackie, I find it somehow comforting that the word damnYankees didn't immediately spring to mind.

Posted By: of troy Re: Subway Series - 01/09/04 02:32 PM
gee, anna, i thought for sure yankee sprung right to her mind, but she just didn't want to type in damn, and to her they are natural go togethers...
like bloody brits...seems odd to say one with out the other... but reality is, i know many from UK, and (largely) grew up with out real animosity to the residents of that island nation--except for the rudely linked words..

Posted By: dxb Re: Subway Series - 01/09/04 05:19 PM
Well, I suppose 'bloody Brits' is marginally better than 'whingeing Pommes'. My feeling is that Brit, as an 'affectionate' diminutive, appeared relatively recently in the world's dictionary; but I'm not sure when or where.

© Wordsmith.org