Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic from wwftd: haecceity - 10/08/03 12:09 PM
http://home.mn.rr.com/wwftd/

I love this. I absolutely love it. You get your Latin demonstrative pronoun then you attach a modern English suffix to it. Great. I want to use it at the next social event I attend. Along with the Brit term I recently learned: "bleating whinger." Can anyone come up with these two terms in a sentence?

Posted By: dodyskin Re: from wwftd: haecceity - 10/08/03 05:18 PM
Of course he is a bleating whinger, his mardiness is his haecceity.

that right? not quite sure.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: mardiness - 10/08/03 08:37 PM
mardy, n. adj.
Eng. regional (chiefly north.).

A. n. A spoilt child.

1874 Sheffield & Rotherham Independent 3 Aug. 4/1 Mard adj.Pettish, peevish, used in speaking
of children... Mardy is the corresponding substantive, a spoiled child. 1888 S. O. ADDY Gloss. Words
Sheffield 144 Mardy, a spoiled child. a1930 D. H. LAWRENCE Mod. Lover (1934) 277 As for Harold,
he was all right. He was very respectable and a bit of a mardy, perhaps..but he was all right. 1987 Jrnl.
Lancs. Dial. Soc. May 9 M as in mardy ‘spoilt child’.

B. adj. Usually of a child: spoilt, sulky, whining, moody. Also in extended use.

1903 W. H. STEVENSON in Eng. Dial. Dict. IV. 34/1 [Notts.] A boy who cries with pain is called by
his fellows a ‘mardy baby’. 1913 D. H. LAWRENCE Sons & Lovers vi. 127 ‘Now, Miriam,’ said
Maurice, ‘you come an' 'ave a go.’ ‘No,’ she cried, shrinking back. ‘Ha! baby. The mardy-kid!’ said her
brothers. 1915 D. H. LAWRENCE Rainbow i. 12 Young Tom, whom he called a mardy baby. 1959 J.
BRAINE Vodi i. 22 ‘Don't be so bloody soft, man,’ Tom said. ‘I don't want to go.’ ‘You're mardy. You're
dead mardy.’ 1961 J. I. M. STEWART Man who won Pools 35 'E were a mardy one as a nipper, our
Phil. 1975 D. CLARK Premedicated Murder v. 83 ‘You can get all mardy about it if you like,’ said
Green, unabashed. 1979 A. SILLITOE Storyteller II. xv. 198 ‘Get some bleddy oil,’ Percy said in a
mardy, rasping sort of voice, as if he was on a picnic and not at a funeral. 1995 K. ATKINSON Behind
Scenes at Museum (1996) iv. 138 ‘There Samuel, did tha like that? Nice cowd air to haste you to
t'Maker.’ The baby made a small snuffling noise. ‘Tha'rt a mardy gowk for all tha cosseting, eh?’

C. Compounds. mardy-arse derogatory, a spoilt, pampered, or cowardly person.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: from wwftd: haecceity - 10/08/03 08:42 PM
insult #37: If you weren't such a bleating whinger, you'd have no haecceity at all.

Posted By: dodyskin Re: from wwftd: haecceity - 10/13/03 02:26 PM
You missed, 'are you being the mard?'. I love that one, it means, are you spoiling it for everybody?.

© Wordsmith.org