Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh beestings - 07/21/03 12:14 PM
Joke on me. I heard my dairyman uncle say it seveeral times,
and thought he was saying "beaslings". The colostrum from cows is quite yellow, with extra fat, apparently. I never tasted it. Since it has important antibodies, the calf needs it. I don't remember how many days it lasts, before
the new milk can be sold. Site I found implies that it is three days.
I'll be doubledipped in dogie dung. Colostrum is now peddled as a marvelous health aid. Search for "dairy cows colostrum". One thing about human colostrum, it has strong laxative effect, which helps clear infant intestinal tract of solids baby swallows in utero.

Posted By: maverick Re: TMI gross-out warning! - 07/21/03 09:33 PM
I'll put this in white to avoid paining the sensitivities of anyone eating their food or taking a drink whilst checking this thread...

>laxative

Indeed, apart from the antibodies involved (which makes it no less than vital that calves drink their dam's colostrum), it also serves this important function in the bovine herd. What is slightly less easy to come to terms with at first glance is the positive fervo(u)r with which the dam licks the arse of the calf to encourage its' first bowel movement ~ and the apparent relish with which said first dropping, which is vivid orangey-yellow and quite markedly slimy, is consumed by the cow! However, if the cow failed in this task we noticed a marked downturn in the dam's ensuing health, so there is clearly some, er, deep-seated reason for this series of moti~, er, actions...

Posted By: of troy Re: beestings - 07/22/03 01:01 AM
human colostrum is also rich in fat,and low on protein.

with 'drive through deliveries' problems can develope. a breast fed baby might not get enough protein to do an effect test for phenylketonurics.
(phenylketonurics is a genetic metobolic disease, that involve the bodies ability to digest proteins, breast milk particulary rich in this protein, but its almost entirely lacking in colostrum.)

Posted By: wwh Re: TMI gross-out warning! - 07/22/03 02:12 AM
Dear maverick: Cow's diapering activity is not something
primates would enjoy copying. But even less so is the
cow's method of keeping placenta from attracting predators.
Please note how carefully I avoided being "gross".

Posted By: consuelo Warning! Non-Pc Post - 07/22/03 02:32 AM
I have a recollection, from back in the days when PC wasn't heard of, of hearing prepubescent girls refered to as having beestings. Pretty descriptive. Not something we're supposed to talk about these days, though.

Posted By: wwh Re: Warning! Non-Pc Post - 07/22/03 02:35 PM
Dear consuelo: it took me a few moments to figure out that
you were referring to lack of pectoral prominences. I have never heard it before. I think it would have been two words.

© Wordsmith.org