Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh fen - 06/20/03 04:51 PM
Today's Word "fen" reminded me of the Wolf, Fenris, in Norse mythology:
"Fenris: Wolf so huge that all the gods were scared of it. From the swamp. Monstrous wolf, confined to an isolated island by the Aesir. They had the dwarves create a rope to bind it with. The god Tyr lost his right hand putting the rope on Fenris. Son of Angurboda and Loki. Brother of Hel and the Midgard serpent."
One of the sites I browsed said "Saga" was in Norse mythology goddess of Poetry. The Norse legends are called
Sagas. Cognate with German "sagen" = to say.
Hey, Musick: You ought to post things about Norse mythology.
And notice "fen" may be cognate with "Fenris" as quote
mentions "swamp".

Posted By: of troy Re: fen - 06/20/03 05:25 PM
The area around Boston (UK) is filled with wetland/marshes that are called fens. when the settlers from that area (the winthrops, say) came to US, they used the same word for the marshy areas around Boston (US).. a large part of the Fens were filled in (as they leveled some of the hills of Boston, in a 1800's plan to improve the city) and the area became a park with a small stream running through it.. 'Fenway Park' which is where they later build a baseball stadium.. of the same name.

(but that info is a YART)- it came up in one of the baseball (ick!) threads last summer or the summer before.

Fen is a norse word, brought to england with the norsemen.

Posted By: wwh Re: fen - 06/20/03 07:18 PM
Dear of troy: I have a small personal interest in the filling-in of Back Bay in Boston. The first member of my tribe in 1638 lived on a hill at water's edge in Weymouth that was completely removed for fill.

Posted By: maahey Re: fen - 06/22/03 12:14 PM
The best part of the Fenway, is the MFA. (ignoring loud protests from Juan ..) Too much hype about that game stadium if you ask me, with the poor MFA getting lost in all the ballpark brouhaha..hmph! Sunday mornings are incomplete without a walk across the fens to the welcoming sight of the building bathed in warm summer sunshine...sigh

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Just in case - 07/05/03 07:11 PM
For those not acquainted with the area - the "MFA" is Boston's Museum of Fine Arts.

Posted By: Bingley Re: fen - 07/05/03 11:31 PM
Among the more obsessive admirers of certain TV series, the plural of fan is fen.

Bingley
© Wordsmith.org