Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh A word for Sunday - 12/29/02 06:48 PM
Stint....A word used a dozen times in the past, but always with the meaning of a short term of duty.
I learned the word as a child, in a sort of dialectical usage meaning a self-imposed task, such as
picking a quart of blueberries. I was reminded of it by usage in the whaling story menaing
"limited, insufficient": ......."Only fourteen days' stinted allowance of provisions reamined."

stint
vt.
5ME stinten, to stint, cease, stop < OE styntan, to blunt or dull, akin to stunt, blunt, dull: see STUNT16
1 to restrict or limit to a certain quantity, number, share, or allotment, often small or scanty
2 [Archaic] to stop
vi.
1 to be sparing or grudging in giving or using
2 [Archaic] to stop
n.
1 restriction; limit; limitation
2 [Now Rare] a limited or fixed quantity, allotment, share, etc.
3 a) an assigned task or quantity of work b) a specified period of time spent doing something
—SYN TASK
stint$er
n.

stint2 7stint8
n.
5LME stynte < ?6 any of various small sandpipers, as the little stint (Calidris minuta)

Posted By: wofahulicodoc The Mikado speaks - 12/29/02 11:43 PM
stint, vt...to restrict or limit to a certain quantity, number, share, or allotment, often small or scanty

KOKO (a cheap tailor; Lord High Executioner): Pooh-Bah, it seems that the festivities in connection with my approaching marriage must last a week. I should like to do it handsomely, and I want to consult you as to the amount I ought to spend upon them.

POOH-BAH (Lord High Everything Else): Certainly. In which of my capacities? As First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chamberlain, Attorney- General, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Privy Purse, or Private Secretary?

K: Suppose we say as Private Secretary.

PB: Speaking as your Private Secretary, I should say that, as the city will have to pay for it, don't stint yourself, do it well.

K: Exactly--as the city will have to pay for it. That is your advice.

PB: As Private Secretary. Of course you will understand that, as Chancellor of the Exchequer, I am bound to see that due economy is observed.

K: Oh! But you said just now don't stint yourself, do it well!

PB: As Private Secretary.

K: And now you say that due economy must be observed.

PB: As Chancellor of the Exchequer.

K: I see. Well, come over here, where the Chancellor can't hear us...

--The Mikado, Act I

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: The Mikado speaks - 12/29/02 11:47 PM
heh... I see you're well on your way to Pooh-Bahhood, Dr Wofa.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc re: Pooh-Bah-hood - 12/30/02 12:15 AM
"I can't help it. I was born sneering. "

Someday...someday...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: re: Pooh-Bah-hood - 12/30/02 12:19 AM
I can't help it. I was born sneering.

I hear if you sleep on your side, it helps.

© Wordsmith.org