Wordsmith.org
Posted By: wwh wine lees - 12/17/02 02:15 PM
Wine lees are made up of dead yeast cells, skin fragments and insoluble tartrates.

lees
n.pl.
5pl. of lee (obs. in sing.) < ME lie < OFr < ML lia < Gaul *liga, akin to OIr lige, a bed, layer < IE base *legh3 > LIE16 dregs or sediment, as of fermenting wine

Posted By: dxb Re: wine lees - 12/17/02 06:11 PM
Wine you can chew - great stuff!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: wine lees - 12/18/02 01:26 PM
dxb, for real? I'm gullible. Do people really chew wine lees? If so, bet it makes their teeth turn dark purple.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Chewing wine lees - 12/18/02 01:30 PM
Beats chewing wine stossens.

Posted By: dxb Re: wine lees - 12/18/02 03:08 PM
dxb, for real?

No! I suspect it would be bad for the stomach. I base that on the need to decant any wine that throws a sediment, and generally I would avoid any wine (or beer) that had stuff floating in it. Certainly beer like that is likely to cause diarrhoea, and wine would at the least be unpalatable. But I am speaking from instinct not personal experience (except for the beer), I am sure there are others here with knowledge of the effects on the body.

Posted By: dxb Re: China lees - 12/18/02 04:09 PM
A well known sailor of Chinese American descent, Elmer Lee, was sent by Life magazine in the early ‘50s to report on the marriage customs of a remote Patagonian community. Nothing was heard from him for eighteen months and the magazine became worried for the safety of Lee and his crew. They sent a second ship to search for him and hired an ex-naval captain to lead the expedition. After many weeks Lee and his men were found stranded in a shallow bay on the coast of Tierra Del Fuego. The Captain of the rescue expedition addressed the leader of the stranded crew with these immortal words “Ah! Sweet Mister Lee of Life, at last I’ve found you.”

Posted By: wofahulicodoc No, he was Ko-rhee-an - 12/18/02 04:29 PM
I had thought the reporter was the son former Korean President Syngman Rhee.

Posted By: dxb Re: No, he was Ko-rhee-an - 12/18/02 05:17 PM
Rheely?

© Wordsmith.org