Wordsmith.org
Posted By: BranShea cream of tartar/ chemistry - 05/02/12 06:15 PM
When I bake an Irish soda bread I need to add among other things a bit of white powder called 'cream of tartar'. Last of today's definitions for tartar is:
4. A reddish deposit on the sides of wine casks.

Is the reddish deposit the same stuff (bleeched) as the white powder I use which is known to me as also as winestone acid? Of course ICLIU but that is work and not much of an exchange.
Posted By: talesoftrivia Re: cream of tartar/ chemistry - 05/04/12 11:26 AM
According to the "Potassium bitartrate" article on Wikipedia, "The crude form (known as beeswing) is collected and purified to produce the white, odorless, acidic powder used for many culinary and other household purposes."
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: cream of tartar/ chemistry - 05/04/12 03:33 PM
don't believe everything in Wiki
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: cream of tartar/ chemistry - 05/05/12 10:11 AM

I would merely amend to "don't believe everything". I think Wikipedia (and wikis in general) get a bum rap.

And why, particularly, is the assertion "[t]he crude form (known as beeswing) is collected and purified to produce the white, odorless, acidic powder used for many culinary and other household purposes" doubtful?
Posted By: Faldage Re: cream of tartar/ chemistry - 05/05/12 11:23 AM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd

I would merely amend to "don't believe everything".

The full sentiment is:

Don't believe everything you hear or anything you say.
Posted By: BranShea Re: cream of tartar/ chemistry - 05/05/12 03:48 PM
Thank you talesoftrivia. So it ìs the bleached and purified stuff. I didn't know the chemistry word "Potassium bitartrate" . Always liked the word 'cream of tartar' that has nothing to do with cream at all. The Wiki article gives sufficient information.

"The crystals (wine diamonds) will often form on the underside of a cork in wine". "wine diamonds". Now that sounds really good. smile
© Wordsmith.org