Wordsmith.org
Posted By: gray raven Quote of the Day March 14: John Locke - 03/14/12 03:48 PM
Once again Wikiuquote quickly and easily gives us a proper citation. At least for some of these quotes it is a mere click away to provide something other than a mere attribution.

John Locke,
Some Thoughts Concerning Education, Sec. 1, 1693

A sound mind in a sound body, is a short but full description of a happy state in this world.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Quote of the Day March 14: John Locke - 03/15/12 09:17 AM
Still diving beyond the pearl? wink
Yeahbutt (says Faldage) if you don't dive beyond the pearl what continues life?
Posted By: BranShea Re: Quote of the Day March 14: John Locke - 03/17/12 10:45 PM
I think what I really meant to say was, a well isolated good quote sticks to my memory easily, but the "who, when and where" slips away. Though that's very personal maybe. Life beyond the pearl? No idea.
I agree with gray raven: I want to know where (and, if possible, when) as well as who. If you just say "Shakespeare," and I don't recognize the quote, it could be from a sonnet, and therefore possibly Shakey's own feelings on the subject, or it could be Hamlet, Shylock, or Caliban's thoughts we're getting. Makes a difference to me. The Web is packed with whole lists of quotations each attributed only to a person, and sometimes the wrong person, and these lists get copied and re-posted until it's impossible to find the right source. At least if it were common practice to cite the work or the occasion it might minimize the damage. And I wouldn't have to read all of Shakespeare just to find the context.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Quote of the Day March 14: John Locke - 03/18/12 12:49 PM
Shakepeare, Hamlet, Shylock, or Caliban are all Shakespeare. There must be a fair amount of smart quotes attributed to well published wise men and authors that may have come from a friend, a passing by cousin, a good neighbour. What matters is that they are kept to be amusing and educational.
Originally Posted By: Tromboniator
And I wouldn't have to read all of Shakespeare just to find the context.

No need to do that, Peter - get a Concordance!
Oho! So you think you can win me over with rational suggestions?
You do see, BranShe, but evenso I will elaborate...

In the main there are but three ways an original concept can enter into an individual's system of beliefs:

(1)The new concept matches currently held beliefs.
(2)The new concept comes from a perceived "authority" source.
(3) A combination of the above.

So ergo, a subconscious integration of the new concept made by your subconscious mind is therefore best. smile
Posted By: BranShea Re: Quote of the Day March 14: John Locke - 03/23/12 02:51 PM
Oops! Did I miss a post? I have none on the ignore. It feels like I miss a connection.
Sometimes, before I fall asleep or wake up, I have a flash meeting with my subconcious. Whatever got in there by whatever means, it's a lot of rubbish. Most of it. grin
© Wordsmith.org