Wordsmith.org
Posted By: neo Jeeves - 07/03/11 05:35 AM
I was really surprised to start my week off at work with this word.
Before google started dominating the "search engine world, i was a staunch follower of the website called www.askjeeves.com, which now is just www.ask.com.

It also reminds me of the popular Bruce Wayne/Batman and his jeeves - Alfred Pennyworth.

Cheers,
neo
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: Jeeves - 07/03/11 08:22 AM
If you have not yet read any of the P.G. Wodehouse novels about Jeeves, you should do so. Delightful stuff, marvelously written.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Jeeves - 07/03/11 03:02 PM
Hear, hear.
And being a real fan of Bruce and Alfred, I cheer him too.
Posted By: Zed Re: Jeeves - 07/04/11 12:07 AM
The book on tape version of Wodehouse with Johnathan Cecil as reader is even better than reading it yourself. the variety of accents are marvellous.
Posted By: haoleboy raael - 07/04/11 05:12 PM
I am from the land of Jeeves but today I want to speak of 'ravel'. This is a word I had never heard until I came to the US 39 years ago. I grew up with 'unravel', which curiously, you show used in one of your example. So which is it?
I have always thought of 'ravel' as American English.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: raael - 07/04/11 05:28 PM
>which is it?

that's the whole point of this week's theme - to ravel can mean ravel or unravel! : )
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: raael - 07/04/11 05:37 PM
WELCOME HAOLEBOY
Posted By: Zed Re: raael - 07/04/11 09:54 PM
I know that sleep can knit the raveled sleeve of care but that is the only place I have seen it un-un'ned.
Posted By: olly Re: raael - 07/04/11 10:02 PM
un-un'ned. grin
or disunned wink
Posted By: BranShea Re: raael - 07/04/11 10:19 PM
My first association at seeing today's word was with the composer Ravel. Then I read the whole story.
Middle Dutch word ravelen lives on as rafelen and it has the same somewhat ambiguous meaning.
Posted By: Candy Re: raael - 07/05/11 12:47 PM
Thats interesting Bran.

And I think the word ravel relates to sewing and embroidery because if you unravel the woven material it then becomes very tangled if one is not careful.
Posted By: Faldage Re: raael - 07/05/11 11:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy
Thats interesting Bran.

And I think the word ravel relates to sewing and embroidery because if you unravel the woven material it then becomes very tangled if one is not careful.

That's pretty close to the actual history of the word.
© Wordsmith.org