Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alane ululate and dementia - 06/11/11 01:25 PM
Two of your posts this week got me thinking about states of the mind.
Ululate: Did you know that in Filipino, the word for insane is "ulul"? Though I haven't done any investigation as to the etymology of this native word, I have a feeling it could have something to do with howling like mad.
My other thought was brought about by your "Thought for the Day" from William Dement: Now I know where the term "dementia" came from. Thanks, AWAD!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ululate and dementia - 06/11/11 03:21 PM
Tagalog??

WELCOME ALANE
Posted By: BranShea Re: ululate and dementia - 06/11/11 06:29 PM
Welcome Alane. Posts on this board do not always reach the attention of the AWAD team. You can give feedback by using the feedback - link on the Word of the Day page:

Feedback
Posted By: Candy Re: ululate and dementia - 06/12/11 10:04 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Welcome Alane. Posts on this board do not always reach the attention of the AWAD team. You can give feedback by using the feedback - link on the Word of the Day page:

Feedback

but do come here and post with us.
Posted By: goofy Re: ululate and dementia - 06/13/11 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Alane
Ululate: Did you know that in Filipino, the word for insane is "ulul"? Though I haven't done any investigation as to the etymology of this native word, I have a feeling it could have something to do with howling like mad.

I don't know the etymology of the Tagalog word, but it's very unlikely that it's related to Latin ululāre.
Posted By: kah454 Re: ululate and dementia - 06/13/11 06:17 PM
Ululate certainly describes the language of my Siberian Husky, in fact her command of ululation is impressive. Many times times I have attempted to communicate with her by howling back and it ignites a series of barks and howls especially at twlight time. I certainly hope my responses are appropriate. I can understand how someone from outside the family might think they had entered an asylum.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: ululate and dementia - 06/13/11 11:39 PM
yuk,yuk
© Wordsmith.org