Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Sldgman Execrate - 01/19/11 11:31 PM
I really like the derivation of the word "execrate" - From Latin execrari (to curse), from ex- + sacrare (to consecrate). Ultimately from the Indo-European root sak- (to sanctify), which is also the source of other words such as saint, consecrate, sacred, execrable, and sacrilegious. Earliest documented use: 1561.

There are times when something which is not sacred or holy deserves to be detested, denounced, or cursed.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Execrate - 01/20/11 03:09 AM
Yep--child and animal abuse, for two. And that of helpless adults.
Interestingly (she said, musing), I think that, like Branny's article on play being universal, there is probably not anything in the world that somebody, somewhere, doesn't worship somehow.
Posted By: bexter Re: Execrate - 01/20/11 09:14 AM
Sorry to bring the tone down but...possibly no-one worships cutlery...I was thinking spoons in particular...taking the tone up again...condemnare (Latin) has a fun translation - to sentence, doom...where we get condemn from...execrate is a very good word to say aloud...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Execrate - 01/20/11 04:11 PM
In the cow jumped over the Moon ditty, the dish ran
away with the Spoon, The dish must have had some
adoration, veneration, worship.......
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Execrate - 01/20/11 04:18 PM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
In the cow jumped over the Moon ditty, the dish ran
away with the Spoon, The dish must have had some
adoration, veneration, worship.......

well done!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Execrate - 01/20/11 04:38 PM

(HEH)

Hows the weather way up there near the arctic circle?
It is very arctic here 0 degrees. We have no weather, I guess.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/20/11 06:36 PM
Hows the weather way up there near the arctic circle?

Out here it's a cool 57°F, but it's sunny at least.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/20/11 06:42 PM
Yes, we, too, have sun. First time in 7-8 days, but
very cold, now up to 13 deg.

R'lyah sounds like my type of place to live.
Posted By: bexter Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/20/11 07:23 PM
Ah but what about the fork then? It got left behind...I did say cutlery so all bases covered!
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/20/11 07:44 PM
R'lyah sounds like my type of place to live.

That's 'cause some call it California.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/20/11 11:26 PM
OK, I hear you. Have cousins there, they tell me how
wonderful it is. Wish I'd moved decades ago. I think
it was 80 deg in LA, if I heard correctly, today.
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 03:11 AM
80 deg ! Horrors! That's 30º over the maximum comfort level. Forty is better, thirty better still. Thirty's getting down to jacket weather. (50F = 10C; 30F = -1.1C)

bexter, just for fun I googled 'cutlery worship', and found these among other listings (I wasn't about to go to either site, I can tell you!):

der of the Spoon | Facebook Thou can worship to any sort of Spoon, they all lead to the one true spoon. Any prayer counts. No false idols- that means other cutlery ...
www.facebook.com/group.php?gi - Cached

False Idols - Baedon's Curious Web Jan 5, 2011 ... Cutlery Sales Person(s): We have been informed of another evil which threatens all who worship The Almighty Spork. ...
baedonwebz.com/the-church-of-spork/false-idols/

I deleted part of the F-book address, since in my preview it looked like it might be clickable.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 03:54 AM
Living in Frozenwastes of the Great Plains, I'd take
80 deg any day, all day: 24/7/365.....no jackets, just
a grass skirt.
Posted By: bexter Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 09:25 AM
-2 C here at the moment with expected highs of...wait for it...0C this afternoon! Wahay shorts and t-shirts all the way! Seriously though that was the worst 'expected highs of' I have heard in a long while...it is normally used when the temperature increases a lot or if it is ACTUALLY HOT frown
and Jackie
I am dumbfounded...there are cutlery worshippers? I wonder what other things get worshipped (I especially liked the 'do not worship false idols ie OTHER CUTLERY')...hmmm thinking further do they sacrifice pasta and soup?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 01:43 PM
you should see what they do to chop sticks...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 04:32 PM
Snowing here again. Temp is 10degF. Can't believe it is
actually above 0.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 04:33 PM
-11F here in the frozen north (note time)

Jan. 20 is, on average, the coldest day of the year. so we are in great hope that it's just a day late..
-joe (don't stick your tongue out today) friday
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 04:59 PM
we're due for those sub-zero temps this weekend.

brr.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/21/11 05:36 PM
And we're due for more snow.
ditto brrrrr
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/22/11 07:09 AM
bexter--I am assuming those sites were satirical; but I still don't care to go find out for sure!

I'll be getting to bed here before too much longer. I have set the dishwasher to run at about 5 a.m., and for the first time in a few years have left the bathtub faucet dripping slightly: it was 7ºF (-13.8ºC) a couple of hours ago. We seldom get down into the single digits even at night, and I would rather not wake up to frozen pipes in the morning. Er--morning that includes daylight, I mean.
Posted By: Avy Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/22/11 09:16 AM
Drat! Now you all have got me feeling guilty about my sunshine. (Sounds like a song line, doesn't it?). If any of you would like to escape the cold and come to Goa, I would be happy to show you around in between my shenanigans or inspite of them.
Posted By: bexter Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/22/11 11:18 AM
Haha! At least where all you frozen people are it is too cold for rain...here it is our staple weather...over our snow my room got really hot (because the heating gets turned up for downstairs but inevitably all the hot air finds its way into my room) so I opened my window a bit and in the morning it was frozen open...stayed that way for about 3 days...I decided to sleep in another room frown ah to think of warm, sunny Goa
Posted By: BranShea Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/22/11 12:35 PM
Quote:
bexter: I wonder what other things get worshipped

How about shoes? I've known some serious shoe-fetishists (besides Imelda Marcos)Some people look at feet before they look at face.

Oh yes, Avy, who would not like to go to Goa?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/22/11 04:29 PM
Go, go, Goa: time to give serious thought to Avy's invite.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/22/11 04:32 PM
And -46F at International Falls, MN yesterday.
A bit chilly, that.
Posted By: Avy Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/23/11 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Go, go, Goa: time to give serious thought to Avy's invite.

Yes do.
There is a lot of word play on Goa. One of my favourites is : Here today, Goan tomorrow. (A person from/in Goa is a Goan)
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/23/11 03:24 AM
in the morning it was frozen open... Next time, you might try holding a hair dryer on it.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/23/11 04:11 PM
I cannot imagine opening a window in winter. Completely
bogs the imagination, bex, doors only opened to go in and
out. Got about 10 inches of snow at my place yesterday,
another delightful day of shoveling.
Posted By: Avy Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/23/11 11:20 PM
In my room leave the windows open and the 'quitos come in swarms. I am enjoying these contrasting weather reports. You know what? I think this earth is round. If this world were flat, we would have the same weather! The earth is round! Wow! I got to tell this discovery to some one. Good thing I'm not in my bathtub!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/23/11 11:58 PM
Please don't spin off, either!
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/24/11 02:42 AM
sass 'n' bait Wow, what a great term this is! It's perfect! I love it, and wish I had noticed it ere now.

Luke--I LOVE having a window open in winter! 'Specially when Hubby's gone, as he was this weekend. I even had it open Friday night when it got down to zero. It reminds me of visiting the farm when I was growing up, when the only heat in the room was from the fireplace; in the winter my mother would pile quilts and blankets on my bed--it made me feel all cozy and wonderful! Now, though, I only need the sheet and the comforter--and half the time I wake up with the comforter kicked to the side.

Edit: Avy, the other wonderful thing about cold weather (aside from not sweating and being miserable) is that there are NO bugs! grin
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/24/11 02:50 AM
>sass 'n' bait

say, zmj, did you mean that to be, like, rhyming slang for execrate?!
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/24/11 02:58 AM
Maybe he meant to exacerbate.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/24/11 03:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
sass 'n' bait Wow, what a great term this is! It's perfect! I love it, and wish I had noticed it ere now.

Luke--I LOVE having a window open in winter! 'Specially when Hubby's gone, as he was this weekend. I even had it open Friday night when it got down to zero. It reminds me of visiting the farm when I was growing up, when the only heat in the room was from the fireplace; in the winter my mother would pile quilts and blankets on my bed--it made me feel all cozy and wonderful! Now, though, I only need the sheet and the comforter--and half the time I wake up with the comforter kicked to the side.

Edit: Avy, the other wonderful thing about cold weather (aside from not sweating and being miserable) is that there are NO bugs! grin

I sleep in an unheated room too. Piles of blankets and
feather comforter. But I won't open a window...makes the
furnace run harder, and then I have to pay for the
fuel. But I love being under all the blankets. I know
what you are saying.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: sass 'n' bait - 01/24/11 08:23 AM
did you mean that to be, like, rhyming slang for execrate?!

As far as I can remember, something like that ...
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/14/11 03:38 PM
I knew winter was over. We've had warm weather all danged weekend. Last week while driving, I saw what looked like iris tips. And today I decided it would be a good day to get the neighbors' dead leaves out of our flower garden. Again this year I didn't get to it before we had flowers coming up: we have jonquils and hyacinths starting. SIGH...
I wanna move up north!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/14/11 03:54 PM
We've still got patchy snow on the ground, and all the
melting of the last couple days, made ice, lots of it,
and it's dangerous if one is not paying attention.
Am moving my car so sun can get to the snow under it.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/14/11 03:55 PM
Made the Weather Channel news today: a town west of
here had an all time record high of 71 deg. It was
very warm here too. But no flowers yet, Jackie.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/14/11 04:53 PM
we have nearly three feet of snow on the ground, Jackie. and you're welcome to any and all of it!!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/14/11 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
we have nearly three feet of snow on the ground, Jackie. and you're welcome to any and all of it!!

You all really got it this year. I had 47 inches in my
yard at the height of last year's storms here. I can
certainly empathize.
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/15/11 03:26 AM
Send it right on down!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/15/11 03:57 PM
It is too bad there is not a away to shrink dry it or
something and send it to places that would be delighted
to dally with it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/16/11 10:11 PM
ARRRRGH! I am sitting here with the windows open in the middle of February; and the house temp. has crept up...and up...and up, till it now reads 65º(F). I am roasting. SO unfair! mad So far I am refusing to turn on the A/C, but there is going to be a day very soon where I think I'll have to. 70ºF is way too warm. frown
Posted By: Avy Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/17/11 01:11 AM
It's getting that way here too. From now it goes onto excrutiating heat in the month of May and then in the month of June come the monsoons when in Goa, at least, everything grinds to a halt. No tourists come during the rainy season and businesses close for two months till the rains stop. So now good weather for us will be only from September onward.
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/17/11 03:26 AM
Eep--I think, all told, I would rather live here.
Posted By: Avy Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/17/11 01:59 PM
"Okay it's not that bad" she said, fearing the wrath of her country men. The monsoon season is said to be the season of love (not slush and muck - love). I'd much rather read monsoon inspired poems than actually weather the rains. I am glad I am not writing this on "another subcontinent" message board. I would be tarred and feathered.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/17/11 04:00 PM
I am thinking Fiji or Tahiti would be nice.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/20/11 08:55 PM
I knew winter was over. We've had warm weather all danged weekend. Last week while driving, I saw what looked like iris tips. And today I decided it would be a good day to get the neighbors' dead leaves out of our flower garden. Again this year I didn't get to it before we had flowers coming up: we have jonquils and hyacinths starting. SIGH...
I wanna move up north!
[EA]

our huge, high snowbanks, which themselves make driving on our narrowed streets hazardous, have finally been melting down over the last few days.

but this morning it started to snow once again. it has been snowing all day [note time] and will continue deep(!) into the coming night - thirteen inches are currently being predicted. this winter may never end! I wanna move to Hawaii!!
Posted By: Tromboniator Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/20/11 09:40 PM
ARRRRGH! 70ºF is way too warm. frown

I'm with you, Jackie. Where I am, south-central coast, it rarely gets warmer than 70ºF, and then only in late July and August. On the other hand, The winters here (this is just on the shelf below the bluff, not much above sea level, where the city is) flop back and forth across the freezing point, so we get snow, melting, re-freezing, more snow, rain, more freezing, etc., so lots of ice to walk and drive on. It occasionally goes below 0º, but doesn't make a habit of it. In winter, regardless of the temperature, when I get into the car with my beloved wife, she always has a roaring fire going in there, and I have to negotiate.

Peter

Snowing today.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/20/11 09:45 PM
Not for me. I usually measure temps not by f or c but by
how far above or below 70 deg they are. That is the norm.
Posted By: BranShea Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/20/11 10:48 PM
I don't now what the norm is but: snowflakes today. Tiny ones but not less cold than the biggies.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/21/11 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm

but this morning it started to snow once again. it has been snowing all day and will continue deep(!) into the coming night - thirteen inches are currently being predicted. this winter may never end! I wanna move to Hawaii!!

woke up this a.m. to thirteen(13) inches (officially) on the roads and sidewalks.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/21/11 04:48 PM
Yup!
The Northern Plains and Northeast are really getting hit.
Presume you are in there somewhere.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/21/11 05:34 PM
woke up this a.m. to thirteen(13) inches (officially) on the roads and sidewalks.

Woke up yesterday and there was some frost on the car's windshield. I guess our early spring is officially over.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/21/11 05:48 PM
So much for groundhogs and the other critters that
predict spring or not-spring in the various parts of
the country.
Posted By: Jackie Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/22/11 02:41 AM
Waaaah! We have 65º and rain! GRR! MAN I hope we get some winter back!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/22/11 03:03 AM
oh, just stop it!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/22/11 03:47 AM
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
oh, just stop it!

heh

seriously, we have a windchill of -9°F. I'm ready for it to be warmer.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: sass 'n' bait - 02/22/11 03:58 PM
We've a windchill of -5. Feels colder. You could move
to one of these wonderful winter places Jackie, since
you're so fond of them. I'd trade places.
Posted By: Baedon Re: sass 'n' bait - 07/27/13 12:06 PM
80 deg ! Horrors! That's 30º over the maximum comfort level. Forty is better, thirty better still. Thirty's getting down to jacket weather. (50F = 10C; 30F = -1.1C)

bexter, just for fun I googled 'cutlery worship', and found these among other listings (I wasn't about to go to either site, I can tell you!):

False Idols - Baedon's Curious Web Jan 5, 2011 ... Cutlery Sales Person(s): We have been informed of another evil which threatens all who worship The Almighty Spork. ...
baedonwebz.com/the-church-of-spork/false-idols/

As the owner of the site that contains the Church of Spork, I can assure it is satire.

-Baedon
© Wordsmith.org