Wordsmith.org
Posted By: quark onomancy - 10/27/10 02:22 PM
During my stay at Swansea (many years ago) I used to go to a car-boot sale every saturday morning... Many sellers put ONO besides the price... When I asked for the meaning, they told me ONO means or nearest offer... So, for me, onomancy may be the divination of the nearest offer...
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: onomancy - 10/27/10 03:34 PM
Swansea. Wales??

WELCOME QUARK
Posted By: BranShea Re: onomancy - 10/27/10 05:52 PM
Funny. ;~)
Posted By: quark Re: onomancy - 10/28/10 07:07 AM
YES!!! I got an MSc there.
Posted By: Faldage Re: onomancy - 10/28/10 09:56 AM
So, if someone offers nine pounds for an item advertised at ten pounds and someone else offers twelve pounds the dealer has to take the nine pound offer?
Posted By: Candy Re: onomancy - 10/28/10 10:09 AM
The practice of onomancy uses the letters in a persons name in some form of fortunetelling.

This game from my school days came to mind......

Love, Hate, Friendship, or Marriage?

You would write your name on paper and underneath write the name of the person you liked.
Then you would cross out any letters that were the same, one at a time,between each name... leaving the unmatched letters. Then a sequence of L (love) H (hate) F (friendship) and M (marriage) was said and repeated over the remaining letters until the end. The letter last said would be the future of the couple.

Of course its much easier now!

Just text you name and the person you like to a phone number and for a nominal cost, the answer will be sent back to you.
Posted By: quark Re: onomancy - 10/28/10 02:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
So, if someone offers nine pounds for an item advertised at ten pounds and someone else offers twelve pounds the dealer has to take the nine pound offer?

Will you offer 12 pounds if the price marked is 10??
The nearest offer is always understood under the price marked. If you start offering more than 10 pounds, you won't have any maximum...
Posted By: Faldage Re: onomancy - 10/29/10 01:59 AM
I guess it depends on how much you want it. Happens all the time on eBay.
Posted By: Jackie Re: onomancy - 10/30/10 01:44 AM
my stay at Swansea Hey--I visited briefly near Fishguard.

Welcome aBoard!
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: onomancy - 10/30/10 02:42 AM
I've been to Swansea. Love Wales.
© Wordsmith.org