Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tiberall French words in English - 08/31/10 05:14 PM
As a natural language, English is always growing. It is particularly adept at absorbing new words. What I keep wondering is what is the French word most recently added to English that no longer 'sounds French'. So far, the words this week still sound French to me. But the word 'cherish' (which came from French) sounds like a normal English word to me. But when Chaucer used it in 1385 it must have still sounded French to him. How long does it take for a word to lose the sounds of its roots? And which is the latest absorbed word that no longer 'sounds French'?
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: French words in English - 08/31/10 05:17 PM
Originally Posted By: tiberall
As a natural language, English is always growing. It is particularly adept at absorbing new words. What I keep wondering is what is the French word most recently added to English that no longer 'sounds French'. So far, the words this week still sound French to me. But the word 'cherish' (which came from French) sounds like a normal English word to me. But when Chaucer used it in 1385 it must have still sounded French to him. How long does it take for a word to lose the sounds of its roots? And which is the latest absorbed word that no longer 'sounds French'?

WELOME

Welcome
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: French words in English - 08/31/10 06:08 PM
What I keep wondering is what is the French word most recently added to English that no longer 'sounds French'. So far, the words this week still sound French to me. But the word 'cherish' (which came from French) sounds like a normal English word to me. But when Chaucer used it in 1385 it must have still sounded French to him.

An interesting question. I'm pretty sure that it depends on the speaker, and I am not sure how French cherishen 'to cherish' (link) or parfit 'perfect' might've sounded to Chaucer.
Posted By: BranShea Re: French words in English - 08/31/10 06:37 PM
Welcome tiberall. Funny thing is I just wanted to ask people about de - or décolletage. About the 'tage' part. The French word 'décolleté 'is in use in actual French German and Dutch in its original form. Decollete or décolleté.
Decolletage made me think it would have the meaning of something that has been detached of soaked off something. (from 'décoller-to soak off or detach something that has been glued) The French word 'décollage' meaning 'take off' (airplane).
As there have been French speaking parts in the U.S. I expected it the word to be closer to the original.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: French words in English - 09/07/10 06:35 PM
Disclaimer: French and I have a very gauzy relationship...

But I did see that décoller is not the derivation of decolletage, but rather, décolleter, so perhaps that helps the confusion. Also, it's a noun, whereas décolleté is an adjective.

Hi Bran! I had a busy summer... :0)
Posted By: BranShea Re: French words in English - 09/09/10 02:05 PM
Yes long time since we stirred up a bit of confusion.;~) I meant to say that the French do not have the word décolletage, only décollage, which comes from a different verb. That décolleté may be and adjective in French; it is a noun in Dutch and German.
f.i. "The waiter slipped and dropped olives into the lady's décolleté".
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: French words in English - 09/09/10 02:40 PM
the French do not have the word décolletage, only décollage, which comes from a different verb. That décolleté may be and adjective in French

Actually there is a word décolletage in French. It means "Action de se décolleter ou de décolleter une robe, un chemisier; résultat de cette action". Décolleter means 'to uncover (the neck, throat, shoulders)'. It is a verb derived from collet '(Roman) collar' < Latin collum 'neck'. Décolletage is an abstract noun formed from the verb décolleter.
Posted By: BranShea Re: French words in English - 09/09/10 05:55 PM
Yes , yes you are so right! I found it now in the smaller one of my two paper dictionaries. Which proves once more that the bigger isn't always the better.
Here's Larousse online ( another industrial use of the word)

linkje
Posted By: Hal Alexander Re: French words in English - 09/11/10 09:40 PM
Originally Posted By: BranShea
The French word 'décollage' meaning 'take off' (airplane).

Is décalage (gap, or interval) related? It's used in airplanes too, in the rigging of flying surfaces, but more common, I suspect, in the expression, décalage horaire, time interval.

Re the original question: French missionaries settled much of Northern Indiana, but you don't hear people saying "Notre Dame" or "Terre Haute" the French way, so I guess place names may be the first French terms to get Americanized.
Posted By: BranShea Re: French words in English - 09/11/10 10:31 PM
zmjezhd is the expert on relations. Décalage has according to the dict. various meanings ; move (to a different place )time interval (like you said ) and disproportion, lack of consensus.
Décaler meaning taking away stut, support, stay, prop.
Can't find a word 'caler' though.
Posted By: Faldage Re: French words in English - 09/12/10 11:43 AM
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Can't find a word 'caler' though.

My New Cassell's has caler, 'To prop up, to wedge.'
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: French words in English - 09/12/10 02:07 PM
Is décalage (gap, or interval) related?

No. French décalage 'gap, offset' < décaler to move, bring forward' < caler < cale 'wedge' (probably < German Keil 'wedge'. French coller 'to attach, stick' < Latin collum 'neck'.
© Wordsmith.org