Wordsmith.org
It took me a minute, but I realized that Khali Gibran was saying "The more we have the more afraid we are of losing it." Very relevant to the current economic situation and to the many high profile people who contributed to arriving here.
"Is not dread of thirst when your well is full, thirst that is unquenchable?"

I would go rather with, the thirst is the peacefulness that abundance/decadence does not bring, that it only comes through reconciliation with ourselves.
Posted By: Zed Re: thought for the day - when your well is full - 06/16/09 11:13 PM
For me thirst must be the absence of peace.
I would read it as fear deprives us of peace even in safety/plenty.

One of the things I like about proverbs is that we each read them through the filter of our own experience.
We use them to evaluate cognitive function - the meaning is less important than the patient's ability to think in the abstract. e.g. "a rolling stone gathers no moss" might be explained as "if you stop trying anything new you get stuck in a rut" or "if you can't stick to something you won't succeed." On the other hand the response "if you roll a rock over the moss gets scraped off" makes you worry about their ability to manage complex situations.
Really smile
Yes, I am learning that even in science, it is our consciousness that ultimately is the deciding factor how we will perceive or act to something.
I've been looking for a place to bring up the quote for today's word, "obloquy", and think that this is as good a place to put it, since I don't want to make a new thread for it.

"Evil is like a shadow - it has no real substance of its own, it is simply a lack of light. You cannot cause a shadow to disappear by trying to fight it, stamp on it, by railing against it, or any other form of emotional or physical resistance. In order to cause a shadow to disappear, you must shine light on it." -Shakti Gawain

This I feel relates well to the OP, and her website is very interesting.

http://www.shaktigawain.com/
Mmm, Sparkle (welcome, by the way!), that quote makes me think of a book I'm about halfway through right now: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Phaedrus was trying to run away from himself because he was too rational, and was using rationality to attack...er, let me amend that to...analyze himself (his entire being, that is, not in the sense of psychoanalysis). I am not sure yet, but I think this "shining of the light" on himself may have been what killed him.
Thank you smile
© Wordsmith.org