Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Miramichier Prosopagnosia - 04/22/09 05:01 PM
Oh my goodness! I have that! Is there a support group? Is there a convention?
Posted By: WordBdey Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/22/09 06:24 PM

I suffer from a variation of Prosopagnosia.

noun: Inability to recognize familiar faces.

I have ProsoNAMEosia:

noun: Inability to remember the names of familiar faces.
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/22/09 06:58 PM
ProsoNAMEosia

The root for face in Greek is prosop- and for name it is onomat-, so the word could be: onomatagnosia. Maybe.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/22/09 07:04 PM
Yes, welcome, I have eosprosopagnosia, the early in the morning mirror variety.
there are, of course, a couple of names for this.. but I can't remember them.

that was a good for a laugh; but actually, we have from Psych terms such as nominal aphasia or lethonomia.

-joe (I suffer from lethologica) friday
Posted By: Jackie Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/23/09 03:55 PM
Our minds are wondrous things, aren't they? As far as I know, I don't have a brain injury, but I have always had trouble recognizing familiar faces...when I see them out of normal context.

Throwing an auditory note in--I haven't yet managed to teach Hubby that at least 75% of the time he doesn't have to raise his voice after I say, "What?". It isn't that I haven't heard that he's speaking: it's that he hasn't gotten my attention off of whatever I've been focusing on before he says what he wanted me to hear. I did teach the kids, though, to say Mom?, and that then when I was looking at them I was going to take in what they were saying.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/23/09 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Jackie
Throwing an auditory note in--I haven't yet managed to teach Hubby that at least 75% of the time he doesn't have to raise his voice after I say, "What?". It isn't that I haven't heard that he's speaking: it's that he hasn't gotten my attention off of whatever I've been focusing on before he says what he wanted me to hear. I did teach the kids, though, to say Mom?, and that then when I was looking at them I was going to take in what they were saying.

happens to us ALL the time!! not hearing someone can be taken so personally, when it really isn't at all.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/24/09 09:36 AM
Then there is the opposite of prosopagnosia;
not the incapacity of recognizing familiar faces, but recognizing familiar faces that on second glance aren't. Which made me believe that, unique as we may be, many of us have a number of duplicats walking this earth.

To be touched on the shoulder by someone who says : "Hi Annie", and then: "Oh sorry". Or the other way around: greeting a passer-by enthousiastically who raises astonished eyebrowes.
There is no expression or word for this phenomenen as far as I know.

Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/24/09 11:46 PM

Surprise??
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/25/09 07:59 AM
You can add embarassment, confusion, astonishment. But by now I 've fixed it in my mind that no one is unique in his/her uniqueness.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/25/09 12:11 PM
I love the idea of a prosopagnosiacs convention. They'd all have to have nomenclators to whisper in their ears, "This is the guy you were talking with at the bar a half hour ago."
Posted By: BranShea Re: Prosopagnosia - 04/27/09 09:17 AM
Chique! If nomenclators are also good at cooking, cleaning and doing administrations + taxes, where can you hire one? They can skipp the whispering as far as I'm concerned.
© Wordsmith.org