Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Mike Whiskey The Royal We - 07/15/08 08:01 AM
In the example usage given for todays's word (royal we, 15 July), surely our Mick is using "we" inclusively, to mean everyone in his immediate location (including himself), rather than referring to himself alone (the royal usage). A better example might have been Margaret Thatcher's "We have become a grandmother..." (http://www.margaretthatcher.org/speeches/displaydocument.asp?docid=107590).

Best, Mike
Posted By: Engelsepiet Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 08:41 AM
Exactly, Mike, You beat me to it by 35 minutes and 1 second!!

Pete
Posted By: Porter Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 09:47 AM
We are not impressed. How this particular usage could have been misused perplexes us.
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 10:44 AM
It looks to me more like the nurse's we, as in "How are we this morning?" asked while the patient is coming out of a drug-induced sleep, not having quite recovered from the anesthetic of the major operation.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 12:17 PM
‘In the absence of the accused we will continue with the trial.’.. He used the royal ‘we’, but he spoke for us all.
- John Rae, The Custard Boys
Posted By: Jerr Boschee Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 12:24 PM
I suddenly retreated 46 years to my days as editor of my high school paper, in which I had written the following headline for page one of the the first issue: "Homecoming couple reigns supreme!" When I read Gaynor Flynn's comments about the Rolling Stones from The Sun Herald ("Sir Mick leads the way, a smirk on those impossibly exaggerated lips. 'How are we all?' he asks. It's appropriate he uses the royal we -- after all, they've reigned supreme for almost half a century.") I could hear my journalism adviser's tongue clicking: "Jerr, Jerr -- if they 'reign' then they ARE 'supreme' -- you don't need BOTH words!"
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 12:38 PM
the nurse's we

Some languages distinguish between an inclusive we and an exclusive we, depending on whether second person is part of the we or not (link on clusivity).
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 08:47 PM
A funny take on the royal we is in the movie "Blazing Saddles." Gene Wilder (Jim The Waco Kid) has just awoken in jail and is being addressed by Cleavon Little (Sherrif Bart), who is black:

SHERRIF BART: Are we awake?
JIM THE WACO KID: We're not sure. Are we black?
SHERRIF BART: Yes we are.
JIM THE WACO KID: Then we're awake, but we're very puzzled.
Posted By: Mike Whiskey Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 09:57 PM
Like it Alex, and it reminds me:

The Dude: We dropped off the damn money...
The Big Lebowski: We?
The Dude: I! The Royal "we"! You know, the editorial...

Best, Mike
Posted By: olly Re: The Royal We - 07/15/08 11:08 PM
And we will weep
To be so alone
We are lost!
We can never go home

From Gollums song.
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 01:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: Jerr Boschee
I could hear my journalism adviser's tongue clicking: "Jerr, Jerr -- if they 'reign' then they ARE 'supreme' -- you don't need BOTH words!"

Your journalism adviser didn't understand much about the workings of the English language, did he?

Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
the nurse's we

Some languages distinguish between an inclusive we and an exclusive we, depending on whether second person is part of the we or not.

The nurse's we is a whole nother kind of we; it excludes the first person.
Posted By: jjm3 Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 04:04 AM
I had a question about the royal we. Long ago in school, I remember being taught that when a monarch used the royal we, he was referring to "himself and god," speaking for both, as part of his whole "divine right to rule" deal. Later, in discussing it with linguistically-excited friends, I heard a different explanation: the royal we means "the monarch and the country as a whole," since, as the country's leader, he's speaking for everyone. What do you think or know or feel about this? Who exactly is the "we" meant to be, specifically in the instance when a monarch is using it?
Posted By: The Pook Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 04:18 AM
 Originally Posted By: olly
And we will weep
To be so alone
We are lost!
We can never go home

From Gollums song.

That would be the Preciousian We...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 06:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: jjm3
I had a question about the royal we. Long ago in school, I remember being taught that when a monarch used the royal we, he was referring to "himself and god," speaking for both, as part of his whole "divine right to rule" deal. Later, in discussing it with linguistically-excited friends, I heard a different explanation: the royal we means "the monarch and the country as a whole," since, as the country's leader, he's speaking for everyone. What do you think or know or feel about this? Who exactly is the "we" meant to be, specifically in the instance when a monarch is using it?

here is wikipedia's take, fwiw (not much, as it has both explanations marked [citation needed]).

-joe [situation wanted] friday
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 10:43 AM
Or either it's just the same impulse that drove us to the singular 'you', which originally was used to people higher in social status to the speaker. How far back can we trace the royal we in English?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 11:21 AM
once upon a time I waited tables, and a customer (who was alone) said something like, "we would like blah, blah..." I replied, "oh, is that the royal we?", and he said, "no, I just took that."

heh
Posted By: tsuwm Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 11:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: Faldage
Or either it's just the same impulse that drove us to the singular 'you', which originally was used to people higher in social status to the speaker. How far back can we trace the royal we in English?

'We şæt ellenweorc estum miclum,
feohtan fremedon, frecne geneğdon
eafoğ uncuşes..
'

-joe (if you consider Beowulf to be English) friday
Posted By: heimdog Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 01:26 PM
Nosism: The use of 'we' in referring to oneself – would it also be called nosism if using 'we' to refer to someone else (other than oneself)?
The Dean of our College always addresses me thusly, "How we doin'?" (instead of the standard "How are you doing?"). I don't think he intends it as a corporate inquiry (i.e. keeping a pulse on the College and student life at large) but rather just a friendly personal greeting directly to me (he's a farm boy from Oklahoma so maybe it's a colloquialism).
Is referring to oneself in the third person also a form of nosism? For example, there was a whole episode of Seinfeld in which George Costanza begins referring to himself in the third person ("George is getting upset!") after picking up on the conversation patterns of another character who does the same ("Jimmy likes you!" says Jimmy to Elaine who has mistaken another guy who she likes as Jimmy not realizing that the guy addressing her is using the third person.)
Posted By: Faldage Re: The Royal We - 07/16/08 11:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: heimdog

The Dean of our College always addresses me thusly, "How we doin'?" (instead of the standard "How are you doing?"). I don't think he intends it as a corporate inquiry (i.e. keeping a pulse on the College and student life at large) but rather just a friendly personal greeting directly to me (he's a farm boy from Oklahoma so maybe it's a colloquialism).

That would be the nurse's we.
Posted By: nanannhh Re: The Royal We - 07/21/08 05:00 AM
There's also the "Mommy We"--a speech artifact that did not impress my daughter, even as a preschooler. To my "We're going to pick up our toys now," she responded, "But the 'I' of 'we' doesn't want to!"
Posted By: Zed Re: The Royal We - 07/21/08 07:16 AM
Smart kid.
Unfortunately the nurse's we and the Mommy we are too often closely related.
Posted By: morphememedley Re: The Royal We - 07/22/08 03:56 AM
[taking a short hop along the time line]

The Internet and electronic communications technologies make it possible to communicate in obscurity, so in many instances it is impossible to ascertain whether a speaker is using we as nosism. No one would take advantage of that obscurity to inflate one's number, I hope.
Posted By: Zed Re: The Royal We - 07/22/08 05:47 AM
If you use the Royal we on the internet you have to divide the number of your posts by at least 2 and it takes forever to become a Pooh-Bah.
© Wordsmith.org